Am i overweight?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 20 years old.. My height is 154cm and my weight is 60kg. I checked my bmi in a online calculator. It shows that i am overweight. Could someone tell me am i overweight or normal. Is this calculation is correct or wrong?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi  DO oyu feel overweight? are happy with life  \You and you alone can change it if not

Good luck ( I cut out bread and lost 2 stone so maybe try something like that..

• Posted

Difficult question. It depends on any number of factors. If you are a very fit and athletic girl then your weight is more likely to be due to muscle rather than fat. In this case the BMI is misleading. If you've gone up a dress size and you have a rather sedentary life-style then maybe you would feel more comfortable if you lost some weight. Keep an accurate diary of what you eat and drink for a month. You'll then have a better idea of what foods you can cut out or reduce in your diet. My experience is that it's snacks like chocolate, nuts and biscuits that are the problem. It is much easier to put on weight than to take it off so think about losing weight over the next 6 months.
  • Posted

I personally dont think your overweight but in the normal band.  It depends how you feel.  If you want to lose a couple of lb thats fine but its just how you feel and what size clothes you wear.  If you think you would be better a dress size down go for it!
  • Posted

Hi Maria,

I asume you're slightly concerned about your weight or you wouldn't have posted on here. Actually you are right at the top end of what is perceived as normal. You give no details about possible hereditary, lifestyle, medical or diet causes for being at the high end of normal (25.3) but there's no need to think about taking any action to lower it yet. As your height will not alter any more, the only thing to alter your BMI is your weight and monitoring it early, before it gets to be a problem, is the best thing to prevent it. We're only talking about five or six kilograms to put you into the middle of the normal range so with a little determination that should be easy to shed if you wanted to. I took off twelve kilos in four months with only a slight alteration to my diet. Best Wishes....

• Posted

Dont go off BMI alone. I had my first consultants appointment for a band on monday. They told me im 7st of muscle (a lot for a woman) my lower bmi is 8 1/2 stone. There is no way i could be that with my muscle mass as well as the weight of the liquid etc in my body. I was advised to aim for 12 stone which on bmi makes me overweight! Everyones body size is different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.