Amblyopia and cataract surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I ha cataract surgery on the good eye 11 days ago and have seen no improvement in the distance bluriness.The cataract was like a "diamond" and the surgery took 3 times as long. I cannotnseewell enough to drive. The doctor says it could take 6 wks. I would like to hear from someone who had a similar situation because Im beginning to feel my eye ws amaged and it was a big mistake to have had the surgery at all.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Not sure why the shape of the catract would matter, or cause the surgery to last much longer than usual. Catract surgery removes all of the natural lens and replaces it with an artificial one.

I had catract surgery done on both eyes last year, about a month apart. First one went fine but took several weeks to heal and be normal. The second one was a different story. The bluriness would not go away. I went back to him several times to exam that eye and he always would say the new lens is "seated perfectly".  It took 3 months, but eventually that second eye did clear up OK. Try not to worry too much. I was worried, angry, depressed, etc., etc for several months and it was all wasted emotions and doubt. In the end, my vison became fine and the bluriness went away. (It turned out that I had a very large unusual floater in that eye, post-op, and it had to dissolve or breakup significantly in order for the blurrines to go away.  Give it some time, especially if the surgeon exams you on follow-up visits and says the lens looks fine. 

(Note: I have astigmatism so I still have to wear glasses even after catract surgery, which is typical for people who have that condition.) 

• Posted

Thank you so much.Your response was very uplifting and I will try not to waste emotion😎My surgeon seemed thrilled with the job he did but that seems to be the surgeon personality.It was great to see a positive response
  • Posted

i had a cataract surgery march 9th and i still have double vision just for a few minutes in the morning and sometimes just a few at night the doctor told me that will go away but it does take time this is almost 2 months  i did see another doctor for a second opinion and he said the same.  it is getting better everyday but it is scary.  i can drive and do lots of things.  i am happy i do not need glasses anymore.  just be patient a little bit longer i know what you are going through and it isn't easy.  keep the faith.  good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply.I saw the surgeon and he said it was corneal edema and because the cataract took awhile to remove healing would take a little longer.I think it is going the right direction and I just need to be more patient.It is amazing to see without glasses and soon long distance should be less fuzzy.
  • Posted

It is possible that due to the extended surgery that you do have complications like swelling that are still healing, the drops you would have been using since surgery are meant to deal with that, but it may just be taking time in your case. 

It wasn't a mistake to have had the surgery because without it your vision would have kept getting worse until you went blind, untreated cataracts in poor countries are the most common cause of blindness. At most you might have been able to delay surgery if your vision wasn't too bad, but that likely would have made the surgery even more problematic since the cataract would only have gotten harder in the meantime. Almost all patients in modern countries who get cataract surgery eventually see good results, even if a tiny minority may take a few weeks to recover to get them. 

Someone seemed to take the description of the cataract as a "diamond" to mean its shape, but I assume the surgeon meant was referring to the cataract as being hard (like a diamond),  which made it harder to chop into pieces and remove. In order to use smaller incisions in the eye (which leads to faster healing and fewer complications),  modern micro-incision surgery doesn't remove the natural lens in 1 piece. Instead it breaks it up into smaller pieces to fit through a smaller hole and vacuums it out.

As a cataract gets worse it gets harder and more difficult to chop into pieces,  though usually people in modern countries get surgery before the cataract becomes too hard that its a problem because their vision is usually very bad (e.g. worse than 20/100 even with correction) before it gets to that point. However  sometimes cataracts develop rapidly or I guess can be atypically hard without causing as much visual disruption. The hardness of the cataract suggests however the possibility   your vision would have gotten  very  bad soon even if it wasn't yet. 

Your concern is "distance bluriness". One important question is whether you had any astigmatism before this, and if so whether it was corrected during surgery (either with a toric lens or incision), since uncorrected astigmatism can cause blurred vision at all distances. If you have residual astigmatism it can be corrected with glasses/contacts, or laser surgery,  or an incision with a blade. 

Also you refer to "distance blurriness" in particular, rather than just "bluriness" so I don't know if that might mean you have good vision closer in, in which case the surgery might have left you nearsighted and you'd need to get that corrected (glasses/contacts or laser, or much less commonly a lens exchange to a different power IOL). Unfortunately there is no exact formula for determining the right power of IOL to implant, it is done based on statistics regarding eye measurements of past patients and what power worked for them. For most people the result is fairly accurate, but with a minority the power can be off enough to need correction (its  more common among  those who had strong prescriptions before surgery).  The lens power  used partly depends on the position in the eye where the lens is placed, how far forward or backward, , and perhaps the more surgery led to the capsular bag being damaged and the lens being placed differently than usual. Sometimes the lens can shift a bit after surgery during the first few weeks  which is why they usually wait a few weeks for vision to stabilize before prescribing contacts/glasses.

Another possibility is that the effort to get the hard cataract out damaged the capsular bag the lens usually goes into. Although they prefer to place the IOL in an intact capsular bag,   they have lenses that are designed to be placed outside the capsular bag. If that is what happened,  I hadn't checked on this, but I'm guessing that it may be more difficult to get the power right in that case since the exact lens position may be harder to predict. Again if that is the issue, it would mean you were left nearsighted or farsighted and need correction for it. 

• Posted

Yes the diamond referred to the hardness.It had to be cut in half and then worked on.I went to the Eye doctor every year and they kept saying not yet.I missed a year and then it was very thick.My responsibility clearly.It is clearing up .Since I only had vision in one eye, I have been scared but feeling much more confident since seeing the doctor and seeing more clearly.I will get glasses in 34 weeks to help with reading if needed.Thank you again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.