Amitriptyline and valeriana

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

I have been taking one tablet of Amitriptyline nightly for my migraines for about 6 weeks now. It used to make me groggier but the sedation effects have been ok. 

I also have anxiety and panic attacks which I have been dealing with but I have been a little more anxious this week so yesterday I took Valeriana in the morning, and it was great. So I decided to take it again at dinner then 2 hours later went to bed and took my amitriptyline. 

As soon as I took both I had the thought that maybe I shouldn't mix them which made me really anxious but I looked up side effects of valeriana and it said you shouldn't mix it with other sedation drugs but if you do it may just cause "too much sleepiness" so finally I calmed down and went to bed.

This morning however, my legs and muscles are like jelly. I cannot focus or think very clearly. I feel like I have a fog over my eyes. 

Has anyone else ever had this where they mixed amitriptyline and another sedative and the effects skyrocketed? And do you know how long it lasts? Will I be better tomorrow? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beth,

I have taken Imovane (a prescription), small dosage, at night with Amitriptyline and yes, you definitely feel groggy in the morning and usually wears off by late afternoon. Check with your doctor or if you cant get in touch with him/her, try your pharmicist. Since both have sedative effects, makes sense why the effects were compounded. Was the Valeriana in tea form? Hope u r feeling better by now.

• Posted

Thanks. It did wear off around the afternoon although it may have been earlier but I had a headache that certainly wasn't helping.

I took Valeriana in capsules. I feel like they do help my anxiety but I won't be taking them in the evening again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.