Amitriptyline & panics

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was prescribed 10mg Amitriptyline daily for help with my IBS 24th November last year. As I'd just started with what I thought was toothache I went to my dentist on 25th. The xray showed nothing wrong with three teeth &, when she heard I'd just started taking Amitriptyline, the dentist said it likely would stop the pain &, yes, it did! 

However, after around 6 weeks, the Amitriptyline started giving me huge anxiety on waking. This lasted maybe 2-3 hours & I was fine from around 11-12. I also dreamed a lot, nothing frightening though otherwise I could've understood my anxiety. I had to stop taking it.  

The pain has returned, I've seen my dentist again, she says it's Trigeminal Neuralgia & is referring me to the dental hospital's pain clinic. 

Last night, my Dr. prescribed Tegretol (carbamazepine) 100mg twice daily starting with 50mg once daily then increasing the dose. The nerve pain is awful, I'd have stayed on Amitriptyline but for the terrible anxiety I felt. I hadn't been on it long enough either to see if it helped my IBS which is up & down anyway. 

Has Amitriptyline affected offers like it's affected me?

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

i take 25mg amitrip for nerve pain takes a while get in system but does work and also helps me sleep,i had anxiety and palpitations for quite a while when first starting it but all seems to have settled down now,10mg is only a small dose but we all react differently to it
    • Posted

Hi Darren

When I told the Dr. last night that Amitriptyline had caused anxiety on waking (plus I was very tired likely due to endless dreaming)...which spooked me as I've had anxiety before with megga panics & it's scary & I have been on meds for that at times & don't want to suffer those again... he looked puzzled & said it's meant to stop anxiety not create more. Maybe I should've persevered especially as it was actually prescribed for my IBS by a consultant I'd waited months to see. Yes 10mg is a small dose, the Dr. said 10-15mg is usually prescribed for pain &, yes, we're all different. Glad it's working well for you. If this drug Tegretol doesn't kick in fast I think I'll ask to try Amitriptyline again. Thanks for posting.

• Posted

yeah see how you go and if other drug doesnt work give it a try my neurologist put me on it and i trust him big time hes brilliant hope things settle down for you soonsmile
    • Posted

Where are you, Darren? I'm in the UK in Somerset. 

My Dr. said he wouldn't refer me to a neurologist, appts were like gold dust, it could take years. Pity our once great NHS has descended to what it is currently. I've also got the pain clinic at the dental hospital in Bristol City to go to whenever that'll be. Maybe I'll get more help there.

• Posted

iam up in manchester so quite lucky with hospitals around here theres lots of learning hospitals to so its quite good
  • Posted

Sorry, me again! I forgot to say my dentist advised me to take paracetamol in conjunction with ibuprofen for the pain, alternating these throughout the day, she seemed convinced it will help but my Dr. screwed his face up when I told him that, he said ibuprofen will NOT help this pain & I've read online that it doesn't. My dentist recommended I didn't tell the Dr. that she'd suggested I take paracetamol & ibuprofen as she said he likely wouldn't agree with her but she obviously knows from others she'd seen that it does help. The Dr. said I can take the paracetamol, ibuprofen and Tegretol without problems though. Currently I'm taking 2x200mg paracetamol plus 2x200mg ibuprofen alternately through the day plus 50mg Tegretol at 8pm. 1st day was yesterday.
  • Posted

That combination of meds is fine, but neuralgic pain is often resistant to standard pain killers. The tegretol should start to kick in once the dose increases. Horrible pain, I hope it feels better soon. I presume you don't have a rash or blisters on your face on the side of the pain.
    • Posted

No rash or blisters on my face. Are you a Dr with your site name, I mean? 
  • Posted

Hi, I thought I'd update the thread.

I was prescribed 100mg Tegretol (carbamazepine) twice daily on Thursday ...for this Trigeminal Neuralgia I was told I have ... with instructions to take 50mg that evening then increase slowly (due to it causing dizziness) & see how the situation goes. I took 50mg on Thursday evening, I still had pain occasionally (much as before) on Friday, I had pain trying to eat soup so on Friday evening I took 100mg, I was very spaced out on Saturday so on Saturday evening I took 50mg, I was tired on Sunday but nothing like I felt mostly during Saturday. NO PAIN! Last night I took 50mg again, no pain, tonight I took 50mg again, I so enjoyed my sausage, mash, carrots, peas & sweetcorn. No pain! Long may this last. If I took as much as some of you I'd be permanently asleep.

• Posted

Great news , thanks for the update
  • Posted

I have been on 25 mg of Amitriptilyne now for over 16 years.  One per night befire bed...never had it increased..gives me a great nights sleep where I don't feel pain..I have have Fibromyalgia and Sjrorens Syndrome diagnosed for over 20 years...it is an old antidepressant, it stops/numbs the pain at the end of the nerve, and stops it from travelling to the rest of the nerves in your body...it was found to be excellent for pain relief..hence it is now and has for a long time been prescribed for pain...I as a Fibro pain sufferer find it great and the antidepressant qualities are a bonus..not that I ever have been..but you never know..I find it very safe for me that is..I realize it just doesn't work fir everyone..most people on the other blog on here Fibromyalgia use Amatriptilyne too...I was actually put on 50mg's at first while I was in hospital when I first had it, however..I just couldn't handle feeling like a zombie all day...so I dropped it down my self at home...yes I certainly did experience a withdrawal for a week. Janice, I do..hope you all find something good that works for you all....be blessed..:-) xxx
  • Posted

Hi Christine & others reading my posts.

if you read my initial post you'll see "However, after around 6 weeks, the Amitriptyline started giving me huge anxiety on waking. This lasted maybe 2-3 hours & I was fine from around 11-12. I also dreamed a lot, nothing frightening though otherwise I could've understood my anxiety. I had to stop taking it."

Since my last post I've taken 50mg of Tegretol each evening successfully to stop the Trigeminal Neuralgia. I'd love to be able to sleep without dreaming night after night, I wake quite exhausted sometimes.

Take care all of you.

• Posted

Poor you Janice, wow!! You must get quite tired -being active while you sleep..grr..really hope you get some relief from taking the extra Tegretol..Trigeminal Neuralgia sounds terrible..maybe there is a blog on this site that may help..I suppose you've already tried this...sometimes there's just no answers for then out of left field ...all of a sudden...pow...do hope you find your pow really soo. Janice...be blessed, have a wonderful day too..:-) xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.