Amitriptyline withdrawal

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ive been on 25mg of amitriptyline for over 2 years for nerve pain due to a fracture in my spine, I'm actually waiting for a spinal operation but I've found amitriptyline are not taking my pain away at all so I've stopped taking them. I'm on day 6 and I'm noticing side affects, cramps in my stomach, flu symptoms, just generally feeling unwell, has anyway else experienced these withdrawal symptoms?? also I've gained over a stone in 12 months with no different eating pattern

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Did you taper off or just stop?

I've been tapering off slowing from 32.5mg since mid December and I'm currently on 25mg. I drop 2.5mg every 3-4 weeks' and I've been taking Amit for just over 1.5yrs'.

Weight gain was a factor in my decision to come off these meds too.

When I first dropped I experienced anxiety, headaches and difficulty falling asleep; this eased after a week or 2 which is why I give my system chance to adjust before dropping again.

Some people are lucky and seem to avoid withdrawal; other's seems to experience a range of symptoms. I'm just taking it super slowly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.