amlodipine very bad experience

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had been taking this drug for a few months with no apparent side effects .then started getting a feeling that something was in my ear .this carried on for some time then spread to my cheek.have had various tests docs cant find anything.then about three months ago woke up one morning feeling like i wasnt here felt like a zombie that was the start gradually got worse didnt relate it to the tablets at first.got paranoid anxious. nervous. panic attacks .had horrible thoughts .Dont know how but carried on at work got a family to look after and tried to carry on as normal hopeing it wood pass it didnt .It was only when my wife mentioned the tablets that i found this forum and realized other people were suffering the same as me.told my doc i was taking my self of the talets she told me too keep a check on my blood pressure.Have been off them for about three weeks now .My blood pressure is better than its ever been it really wasnt that high when they put me on them.Ithink they make it higher especially if they make you nervous and have panic attacks. My ear and cheek seem better gradually getting back to my old self but still feeling not quite right yet only been off for aboit three weeks so may take a bit longer.Iwill never take these tablets again but obviously other people dont have any problems but if you are about too go on them i would definately think twice .

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hey Mark ... I'm so glad you wrote in --- the more I read about this medication, the more unhappy I am. I've been on the lowest dose (5 mg) for a little less than 3 weeks. The 1st week I was fine, no noticeable side effects. Then I started having trouble with my eyes, not exactly double-vision, more out of focus.

Then came the pins and needles and numbness in arms and legs And in the last couple of days, the feeling of something in my ear just like you described. Its driving me crazy (I do suffer from anxiety/panic disorder and paranoia) but my doctor told me to "just give it some time". I'm trying because my blood pressure is better (tho not having any effect on my fast heart rate).

• Posted

Hello Mark I am so glad your Doctor listened to you my Doctor got a bit cross, and changed me to Felodipine 5mg which is a very similar drug   my ankles swelled and my Blood Pressure went up saw nurse at surgery told her about the problems recieved a telephone call that evening telling me to increase the dose to 10mg ankles so swollen I couldnt walk the cramp in my legs that I had with Amolodipine came back and terrible nightmares so I cut the dose back to 5mg  ankles still swollen and cramp in my feet and legs so this week I am taking it every other day on the days I dont take it my blood pressure goes down. I think Blood pressure medication is given out too freely the drug companies must be making a packet.  I know what you me about feeling like a Zombie I just didnt want to do anything it was even an effort to have a shower in the morning. I hope you will feel better soon you are not alone so many people are having problems with blood pressure medication. regards Jacky
  • Posted

Hi Mark  I know what you mean these meds should never be on the market , worse thing is when your DR don't believe or refuse to believe that it's got to be these horrid meds . I was on them for couple of years , of course didn't realise it was these that was causing me to feel so poorly , I forgot to take them away with me on holiday , I felt better after few days . So I packed them in , was off them  for couple months , went back to my Dr and told him Then he put me on Rampiril .. Ok for couple weeks , then back to square one . b/pressure is not stable on them anyway , so rather than have a row with him , by leaving them off for several weeks and then going back to see him , it should be high again so then he will have to change them . I will tell you that these meds are the same sort of thing , both of them have robbed me of 4yrs of my life . I'm not feeling right now , but not so tired ,  I literally felt like I'm losing my mind not in control if you get what I'm saying . No feelings of excitement happiness feels like nothing to look forward to . I was a keen crafts person crochet sewing knitting etc . But I can't seem to get my head around the things I used to love doing . I loved to create , but it's gone now , then there's memory probs , it's like dementia starting , but as I wrote further back in a post , if it'd majority of elderly or middle aged people who normally get hig B/Pressure then it might explain how so many people have been reported to have Dementia , it the Meds , I swear . Hope you sorted soon , but be aware it's Rampiril as well as Amlodopine ??

• Posted

Hello Sue Like you I used to embroider, knit, I have a half finished rug used  to  make lots of things and grown my own vegetables since being on blood pressure meds just cant be bothered. I have been put on various BP meds all have given me bad side effects. I have decided not to take Felodipine for a couple of weeks to see if my swollen ankles go down. I have already cut them down to one every other day with no change to my blood pressure. I have left the tap running and other silly things like this.   
  • Posted

I mostly have memory problems with amlodopine. Also dizzyness and vertigo. Blood pressure goes from high to too low. Only taking 2.5 mg
    • Posted

I'm sure there's got to be a connection between memory issues I'e Dementia and these meds . I started on 2.5mg then was increased to 10mg . Be wary don't let them bully you into sticking with these meds . And as I mentioned I would avoid Ramiril at all costs . Good luck

• Posted

I googled and it seems all the blood pressure meds have similar side effects. I have to take something. For a while prune juice was helping. But today I had to take another pill. Ginger helped too. My blood pressure is very related to what I eat.
  • Posted

A nasty drug, gave me Colitis and I still suffering 9months after stopping them. My blood pressure whent out of control when taking them. Candesartin tablets now, and no problems.
  • Posted

Hi this mark thank you for all your replies as I said before have been off amlodipine for nearly a month now .but still having problems with my ear and cheek on the left side of my face .also still not feeling 100 percent not like a zombie anymore but still no zest for life .trying to carry on as normal hoping something will happen .would like to know if anyone has come off of this drug due to side effects and got back to normal .too all the people who replied and the others on this forum hope you all get back as you were soon .
    • Posted

I've started drinking prune juice and ginger ale to keep my blood pressure down. Garlic supposedly keeps blood pressure down . sometimes I think if I. Can stay off that medicine I'll get better

• Posted

Couldn't get my blood pressure down. Back on amlodipine

• Posted

Hi mark keep us up to date with your own methods to help your B/ Pressure good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.