Amlodopine - I'm turning 90 this week. Can I just stop after only 4 days? Or need to taper?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had so many bad experiences with meds. Especially after a. heart attack 20 yrs. ago. I'm hypersensitive. I took various Beta Blockers on and off for years. Recently weaned from a month of very low dose Metoprolol. Began having blood pressure spikes and 4 days ago took Amlodopine 5mg. Next 2 days 3.75mg. Yesterday 3.15mg (1 1/4 of a 2.5mg).

Since I've had such bad withdrawal symptoms over the years and am now so fragile, what would be the gentlest way for me to get off ? If I become hooked on it withdrawal later would be worse. Cold turkey with supplements to help? A very fast taper?

I just discovered this web site and hope some kind souls will help me this holiday season. I have a wonderful wife who is 15 yrs. younger than me. I don't want to be even more of a burden to her than I already am. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Im currently tapering off as well and I find that Magnesium Tartrate helps with my BP and I also drink Hibiscus tea with a scoop of beet juice powder (its cherry flavor). Hawthorne berry is supposed to help with BP, I have capsules but dont want to take them until Im completley off the Am. You can also get that in a tea. Im not sure how well they will combat any withdrawal other than helping BP. Ive had terrible heartburn on Amlo and I just cant deal with feeling so terrible anymore. I take Omeprazole to help with the heartburn. I havent taken my pill today so hoping I can stay off. I just went from 5 mg that I was on for about 2 weeks then stopped to go on Metoprolol, was on that for 2 weeks with horrible side effects and stopped that, back to Amlo 5 mg on Jan 3. I went to 2.5 mg about a week ago. Id go to 2.5, they have those, your Dr can prescribe and then taper to stop those. Wishing you the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.