An ischial ring is being added to my kafo. What benefits and snags might I expect?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have worn a kafo for several years. A couple of years ago I began to experience instability at waist/hips. I was sitting on the top posterior thigh-band which was not designed for sitting on. The ischial ring has been proposed to maintain stability and to improve comfort. Judging by progress with previous afos and kafos, I will be offered a second kafo with ischial ring as a backup. I would be glad of advice on points I should bear in mind. For example if the ring is to have a strap across the front should I ask for the closure , probably velcro, to be lateral, not between my legs? Is/ it better to have a

complete ring of metal, covered with padding and leather? I rarely open the velcro closure at the top of the the thigh on my present kafo, preferring to put it on by putting my foot in at the top.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I ha a kafo a few years ago with just a sealed ring at the top . I did have this done privately being totally fed up of the shambles the nhs were making The orthotist explained that not many companies offer these since the expertise of workers who understand the needs are not there

The fit has to be EXACT and I find it not that easy to get into BUT its so supportive. Ive been very pleased

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.