Anal fissure, how to apply Rectogesic cream

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone give any tips on how the best way to get this cream where it belongs, my fissure is far to painful to insert something as large as the suggested finger to apply ?

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dear Helen

You could try a cotton bud with the cream on the end. The alternative is to try inserting the finger after a hot bath and pushing as if having a BM. I found it helped to use my little finger rather than the preferred index finger. It is worth persevering. For me Rectogesic does give a certain discomfort but its better than the sharp pain. 

• Posted

Hi Roger 93955,

Sorry to bring back painful memories.

But when you applied the cream did you squeeze on to your finger in a line or like a ring at the top.

I am confused as to how i can get the cream the whole way round the area.

Many thanks

• Posted

Hi Helen, My thoughts are with you and all of us that really suffer with this problem.Like you i could not insert my finger because of the pain.What i do which i think is a good idea have you been using a cream Anugesic, If so it would have come with a plastic stem which you fit over the tube to insert the cream.

I now use the stem to insert the Rectogesic cream i first cover this with a ky jely then spread the oitment around this.

Hope this may be of some help for you.

• Posted

Hi Helen, Really hope your feeling much better asi  do all of us.I forget to mention if you insert a cotton bud inside the tube to stop any infection.

Also wash the tube in hot soapy water after every use.

Clive

• Posted

Like you, there is no way that I can insert the cream, but to start with I have been using a slightly reduced dose and just applying it on the outside. I have applied three doses now and have had two bowel movements, and so far, that awful crippling pain that used to start about three hours after I had been to the toilet and would last for 7-8 hours has not begun, so I can only assume that it the Rectogesic is working even though I am not applying it internally. I spoke to a pharmacist before using it and she said that it would be fine to apply externally - maybe not quite as effective as applying it internally but still better that not using it. I know your post over a year old, but perhaps this answer will still help someone battling with this crippling pain.
  • Posted

Hi Helen,

Really hope your feeling a lot better yes i had the same problem inserting the cream, because it was to painful to insert the ointment inside myself.

What i did which seemed to help was to put the ointment around the outside of my Anus,this did help to relieve the pain.

Because i felt that i could no longer carry on using the ointment for the rest of my life was admitted to hospital as a day patient.I had a General Anesthetic which i was told would take about 10/15 minutes.

I had a chat with my Consultant to ask what will happen he said he will use Botox which im told is like a Polly Filla to go inside the Fishure for it to heal.

Since my operation im feeling a lot better yes there is a dull ache after ive had a BM

but this is understandable after surgery i guess,im still taking Laxido powder before i go to bed to keep my stools soft. I am due to back at the hospital in 6 weeks time.

It feels odd not using the ointment anymore,but its personal choice to opt for surgery.

Hope this helped you Helen send me a message anytime if i can help you.

Clive

• Posted

Hello all, many thanks for your advice on the application of rectogesic ointment ! .... The saga continues....for me ..good days & bad .....I live in the Middle East which doesn't help with the heat and dehydration situation but I manage ok by using lactulose and glycerin suppositories. I'm  Going to opt for Botox first as this has been going on for about 3 years now on & off and it's getting silly . Trouble is I get a few months of pain free time then when I let my guard down & think it's self cured then it comes back with a vengeance 😱

thanks for all your advice 

helen 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.