Aneurysma dilation of Acending Aorta 3.4cm and descending aorta 2.5

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a follow up CT scan for chest to follow up on nodules, when there was a chance discovery of AAA of 3.4 cm. There was a ct scan 6 months ago which does not mention this. When doctor called radiologist they say the film does not show significant difference in size so not sure why 6 months ago they said normal and now they are calling it out as aneurysmal and needs follow up. I have taken appointment with cardiologist but worried sick ..I am 43 yrs with 2 small kids and a cancer survivor husband. Life is stressful anyways. How do I reverse this dilation and what do I do to live a healthy long life so I can be there for my family? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks so much

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

That is a very small dilation, depending on how large or small of a person you are, and not a lot to worry about at this point. It may never grow, or it could grow slowly, but assuming you mean "ascending" with the first "A"AA (AAA is often used for "Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm" and TAA is usually used for "Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm"wink. I am 4.8cm aortic root and 4.6cm ascending, and still not to the surgical threshold yet. 

Unfortunately, dilation is irreversible, you can only try to stop the growth and maintain the size it is now. Blood pressure is everything, so try to keep your blood pressure under control and it may never be an issue for you. Try to control the stress in your life. Also I was told to avoid serious weight lifting, and anything that causes you to strain, and especially hold your breath (look up the valsalva maneuver if you want more information there).

If you need more people to lean on, I can send you a link to a couple of really fantastic Facebook aortic aneurysm support groups that have been insturmental in maintaining my sanity and learning a lot. There are also a few folk there who are also cancer survivors as well.

As an aside, my aneurysm was caught incidentally, but follow up scans for the aneurysm have found 2 small lung nodules, so I am following those up with my annual aneurysm CT. So much fun.

• Posted

Thanks for response. Please send me those facebook groups. For whatever it's worth, your nodules will be nothing to worry about. Mine was discovery during nodule checkup. I repent why I did my first CT to start with now I am stuck in this spiral. But thanks so much for your response and good luck to you !

• Posted

the ;-) was supposed to be at the end, phone mess up, sorry, was not making light of terminology!

• Posted

This group is phenomenal, I am James Paulsen there. Happy to chat anytime you might want to, but the folks there have been insturmental in keeping me informed. The important thing to remember is you are one of the lucky ones. Most of the people this kills never even know they have it until it dissects or ruptures, and you have that beat now. So as much as it sucks to know about, you are a very long way from rupture,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/329320830777928/

• Posted

Thanks James. I sent a request to join the group. I did see a cardiologist. According to him 3.4 is normal but he says Aorta is torturous or twisted which is an evidence of high blood pressure. He started me on BP med and told me to get Echo cardio gram next month to see evidence of high BP. He will see me back in 4 weeks. Trying to take all this in a positive way. Thanks !
  • Posted

It does not get smaller, but you can reduce the chances of it getting bigger.  I am watching my weight and reducing my stress.  Low impact exercise is also good. So happy yours is only 3.4.  How tall are you?
    • Posted

Thanks for tips Susan. I am 5 ft 1 inch and 183 pounds, clearly overweight. I try for weight loss but just not easy ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.