Ankle clicking/slotting please help

Posted , 4 users are following.

So i had ankle reconstruction surgery 9 weeks ago for a completely torn ATFL ligament & removal of bony lump (my ligament ripped off the tip of my fibula) surgeon said my surgery was successful & did xrays at my last check up at 6 weeks (all good) . I have been in PT for 3 weeks now and cleared for FWB a week ago my PT said no more boot - only trainers or bare foot to walk with crutches PWB.

When i first put weight in my foot whether its standing or the first step of a walk my ankle clicks and It feels like something is slotting into place. I called my PT to check if this was normal and he checked with his seniors who said highly likely due to how weak my muscles are in my ankle its still unstable and if it hurt (which it doesn't) then alarm bells would be ringing.

has anyone else experience this? if my partner wraps his hand around it he can feel it when I put pressure down. Im due to see my PT next week for more strengthening exercises but I just feel super anxious right now about it

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

I've felt that same sensation and it's really off-putting! I had ORIF surgery for a trimalleolar fracture back on 2/18/23 and was cleared for FWB about a month ago. I occasionally feel that "clicking" and it creeps me out but it doesn't hurt. I will be starting physical therapy tomorrow so I'm hoping that it will stop once I get to strengthening my muscles.

About a month after my surgery when I was still NWB and wearing a boot 24/7, I would occasionally feel that clicking sensation if I stretched my thigh muscles when lying down. It felt like bone on bone, like something hard rubbing against something else hard. My doctor said that it might have been the syndesmotic screw touching against one of the other ones. I had the syndesmotic screw removed 2 weeks ago and that particular sensation has disappeared.

• Posted

Hi Gallega,

How did it go with the PT did they give any suggestions on what was causing it? It's hard with recovery there's no "manual" as to what's normal/not so I've found myself to be quite anxious when I feel something isn't "normal" though it may well be.

• Edited

The therapist said that I might be feeling that for quite some time but that strengthening the ankle through PT would help. He agreed that it was most likely a tendon, like steve93807 said. I'll update here if it resolves (or gets worse!).

• Posted

hi there, can i ask what happened to your ankle . i sort of twisted mines about five weeks ago .. it for sore at the time but absolutely no bruising or swelling . i put a support bandage on and left it for a couple of weeks . every now and again something would stick out from my ankle with some pain and a stretching sound then pop back i again. i went to A&E got it x-rayed but they found nothing untoward . was sent away with a brace and told they would make an appointment for physio . if a move the wrong way its painful and you can actually see a ligament or such sticking out then going back in . personally i think something has detached and i need a similar op to yourself .. thanks in advance for any info . Al.

• Posted

Alan, my injury was a trimalleolar fracture and was evident on the x-ray. It's good news if yours didn't show a break. However, you probably did injure a ligament or tendon from the twisting. The physical therapist should be able to tell but I'm not 100% sure of that. Keep it in a brace until you can get seen by someone. Good luck!

• Posted

thanks Gallega , praying i dont need an op . hopefully physio will be able to tell me whats up on thurday . wouldnt mind if i was getting some pain or swelling with it . its just weird , fine one min then the stretching sound and something popping out if i just move it a little bit the wrong way . hope your recovery has went well 😃 .

• Edited

I had a similar clicking/slotting sensation (no pain) after first walking on my ankle after having broken it last year. (I didn't require surgery, but was put in a boot for about 7 weeks). For me, it felt like a tendon was sliding over the outside ankle each time I put pressure on the foot. I Googled the symptoms and it fit the description for Peroneal Tendon Subluxation (PTS). I pointed this out to my foot doctor, and he wasn't concerned about it since there was no pain. The problem eventually went away on its own. I think I had a mild case of PTS.

My guess is that the more you stretch/exercise your foot and walk on it, the more the problem will likely resolve itself. That being said, it's always good to check with your podiatrist to be sure it's nothing serious. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Steve,

thanks for the reply I think its highly likely where I have been immobile and I'm stiff/weak still but your mind tends to think the worst - well mine does lol my partner said he can feel the popping/clicking but it doesn't move just seems to be doing it in one spot, its weird when I lift my foot I can feel is then dislodge then when I put it down and pressure on it then it "slots/clicks" again. I have PT on Friday so they will examine my foot and be able to hopefully put my mind at ease. I didn't have any hard wear or broken bones and my xrays were good when I was cleared for weight bearing so I can only assume its due to weak/stiff muscles.

Glad to hear yours got better 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.