Ankle injury still hurts two years later.

Posted , 10 users are following.

So two years ago at the age of 17 I injured my right ankle playing football. I went to see my doctor who confirmed it was most likely a Grade II rupture and sent me to have phsyio.

In the following 2-3 months I had weekly physio and was given lots of exercises to do, including balancing, resistance and some frictioning. After these months I found my profession stopped and was left with an ankle I could walk on but any weight bearing lateral movement would result in discomfort.

A year later and still with the lingering dull ache in my ankle I went back to see my doctor who referred me to have a MRI scan with an orthopaedic surgeon. After the MRI the surgeon wrote this to my doctor;

"The scan showed some thickening of the anterior tibio-fibular ligament but no disruption. He had some prominent posterior talar process, with some oedema surrounding the soft tissue and retrocalceaneal bursitis" 

A few weeks later after the MRI scan I had two steroid injections into the ankle where the dull ache is but they did not improve the pain, so the surgeon discharged me.

More recently (last 3-4 months) I have had some orthopaedic insoles made for me in the hope it would reduce the pain but they have not helped, I have also had some very expensive phsyio which is also getting me nowhere.

Has anyone got any advice for this problem? I am only 19 and used to play alot of sport, but since the injury have been very limited to what I can do. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks  

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Seems we've kind of the same injury. Did you go over on your ankle turning your sole outwards?

I also had an MRI that showed scar tissue had thickened the ligament. I've had surgery and am in the process of getting physio to increase my ankle flex.

• Posted

Seems the last message did not send.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did an an eversion sprain. How long were you in a cast for/ on crutches if you do not mind me asking?

• Posted

I was in a hard cast for a month. Then I got a walking cast non weight bearing for 2. Id my op in December and I'm just out of the boot this week.
    • Posted

Hi Laura, what is your current update on the ankle? What surgery did you get and what would you recommend? This is the first forum that I found that is very equivalent to my scenario. Please let me know how it went, thank you! smile
  • Posted

It sounds as an impingement in your ankle. The synovium gets trapped in the space between the tib-fib joint and talus bone.

Are you swollen in front of your lateral malleolus?

I had Bassett's ligament, a thickened AITFL, and had an Arthroscopy. They shaved and removed the scar tissue. This is an easy op with instant relief.

For me it turened out I had other injuries as well.

Good luck, and hope you don't need to wait too long before you get proper treatment. You're too young having these kind of problems without getting help.

• Posted

I still have pain 4 years on after 3 ops, insoles, physio, hydro, steroid injections etc. Keep badgering your gp and hopefully something will get done! Currently waiting for my 4th op. I know how hard it is as I'm only 19!
  • Posted

I was running to get my nephew from the backyard and sprained my ankle three times in a row over the summer and couldn't walk on it but when I was able to walk on it a little I went to the doctor and he said it was fine and healed all the way but it still hurts what should I do?
  • Posted

Hello,

I have delt with multiple Ankle sprains when i was very active playing football. Fortunately I don't believe my ankle sprains were very serious.

As a short term solution, have you learned to apply tape to your ankle?

I currently have an ankle sprain from snowboarding where my ankle was stretched when while snow boarding and my foot was nearly yanked out of my boot!

Anyhow it's been a yr and my ankle still has swelling and feels loose. Painful at the end of the day.

However I am able to remain active because I know how to properly tape my ankle to prevent further injury.

I'm incorporating physiotherapy.

Just wanted to offer you my experience with tape.

"Foam tape and tape"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.