Ankle pain after 18 months. seems to be getting worse?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am so desperate for advice, please!

I sprained my ankle around 18 months ago. I was walking across a road and stepped in a pothole. My foot went inwards, as in the sole of my foot was facing inwards towards my other foot. I heard what sounded/felt like a snap.

I attended A&E as my ankle became incredibly swollen and painful, every step was excruciating. I had an X-ray which confirmed there was no fracture. I was diagnosed with a soft tissue injury and told to keep trying to walk on it.

A week later, whilst still experiencing severe pain I was walking when my ankle it gave way. I went to my gp who told me to keep weight bearing and use a tubigrip/bandage to help keep it stable while my soft tissue injuries healed (so informative!).

A month later whilst going down the stairs my ankle gave way again. By ankle was in constant pain. It ached all day and burned constantly. I went to my gp again. He said to keep wearing the bandage and come back in 10 months if the ankle was still giving way and sore.

I returned again when my ankle gave way a further two times. My gp referred me for further X-rays and physio. The xrays were normal, no fracture. Physio was so painful. After every session my ankle would balloon and the burning sensation became even worse. I began getting calf cramps and twitching so bad I can do nothing but cry.

My gp has put me on zapain which is interfering with my work. He referred me to musculoskeletal expert. The expert thinks I have ruptured two ligaments and has referred me to physio and orthotics. I have no faith that any treatment will work.

I'm at my wits end. The pain is all the time and my sleep is so poor because of the burning and twitching. I feel so pathetic! I can't beleive all this from a fall in the street!

I'm thinking of going private in the hope I get better treatment? Even maybe for just a definitive diagnosis? Has anyone gone private for this kind of injury??

Sorry for babbling on so much. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I live in ireland so I presume it works slightly differently. I tore ligaments in my ankle too but my foot turned the opposite way to yours. Sole outwards rather than inwards.

I was x rayed and told I was fine too but it got worse and my foot got so big i returned and was sent for an MRI. Id to pay to have this done privately as the public list was 3 months long.

It turned out I needed surgery to reattach ligament and a bone in my ankle. The waiting list was 18 months long so Id to go private again.

Have you had an MRI done?

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Thanks for replying.

No MRI. I thought it would be the obvious thing to do but my gp just doesn't seem bothered.

I don't really have the spare cash to go private but I'm desperate so I will raise the funds some how.

I hope you recovered well from surgery.

Victoria

• Posted

I had to take out a loan to cover the costs. I'll be repaying them for a long time!

Unfortunately it was the only option as I couldn't weight bear at all.

Maybe a different GP would advise you differently. I hope you get some answers soon as the waiting and unknown can be worse than the pain at times.

Please try to remain hopeful and keep me informed.

• Posted

There are 7 gp's at the practice I am registered with and I have been to see 4 different ones there.

Unfortunately my 'one man practice' gp retired a few years ago, he was really lovely and took his time to look after you. I will look for a new practice on Monday.

In the mean time I think I will look for finance options to go private. Staying up this late because of pain is ridiculous!

Will keep you updated. Thank you again for your kind words.

• Posted

Hi,

this typical of how ankle injuries are treated and investigated properly and the patient left for months. I had ligaments ruptured in my ankle which require three different operations (1done2to go) the only way is to have an MRI AS Laura has suggested, funny I'm in Ireland also. Don't delay any longer the quicker its don the sooner you will  be on the road to recovery

jim

• Edited

Hi

Jim is right i rolled my right ankle 15 times over the years till the hospital realised that i needed an MRI i was also dignosed with ankle instability and after the MRI they found all 3 of my ligaments had ruptured i had ligament reconsruction on my right ankle last summer i am now back to work ( on my feet all day ) and have no further problems feel like i have a new ankle was a long slog to get there ^ months to be precise but i am really glad i had the operation good luck with everything push for that MRI

• Posted

Hi,

I started having problems with my ankle about 8 months ago.  Had 2 xrays and was told no fracture.  Went to A & E around October last year as was in so much pain - they xrayed and said not broken and put it down to spinal investigations/problems that are ongoing.  When I saw my back consultant I explained how painful my ankle was and she arranged MRI.  Results back and diagnosed as talus neck fracture! I am currently in a cast which I had fitted nearly 4 weeks ago.  I cannot believe that have been walking around on a fracture for months and no one would take me seriously - honestly thought I was going insane! I am due back to hospital on Thursday so not sure what will happen from there as pretty sure fracture not healed.  I would definitely insist on MRI as my fracture would never had been found if this had not been done.

• Posted

aHi,

Thank you for that. I have already had surgery to reconstruct ligaments and tendons , I have had two MRI's and am having another done on the 3rd Apil   So it will be decision time then

many thanks 

• Posted

Oh my god, I thought I was alone.

I have exactly what your describing, from exactly 18 months ago when I fell down some stairs at work.

Put on zapain, x Ray showed no fracture, mri has been done and I do have an ankle collusion, but I have had that all my life so I don't think that's what this is.

I get pain down the outer and inside of my ankle, I feel like my ball of my foot is moving in another direction, cramping pain, burning pain, I work on my feet for 9 hours a day, it's hell, when I get home and sit down it's the worst when I stand back up, do you get that also? Some nights I can barely walked!

No idea where to turn next! Even tried private, nothing other that physio for another 6 months which hurts like hell and then my consultant will look into surgery.... As a last resort, how friggin long am I putting my life on hold for? I can't go for walks, run, do my job effectively most of the time. I feel like I'm being ignored because I'm not a top athlete! Do you find that some days when you aren't on your feet as much it doesn't hurt as much? Although saying that I did 3 months lockdown without walking much at all other than around my house and it's still no better!

Good luck!

Anyone found anything vaguely helpful for pain relief other than zapain, I feel like my kidneys might fall out soon If I keep taking them long term! 😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.