Ankle replacement surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

I suffered the sudden onset of end stage and very painful ankle arthritis due to a protracted and initially undiagnosed bout of topacious gout that I believe was caused by a long, high dose course of antibiotic prescribed for a bacterial gut infection (tropical sprue).

I then had to project manage my own final diagnosis (via private healthcare) and when this was received and the gout had been dealt with, I had to decide on a solution for my ankle arthritis as I simply could not walk. After much private research I opted for total ankle replacement in the face of advice that I should have the ankle fused.

surgery took place in December 2014, and recovery has been in spurts over the last 20 months. Finally however my gait is now near normal and I am totally free of pain, except for a minor ache when I have walked maybe 5 kilometers.

I am delighted with the outcome and am able to once again live a normal life, work in my garden, climb ladders and sail my boat.

it has been a long slog but well worth it.

I recognise we are all different and some are more likely to benefit more from this treatment than others, but I recommend that those with end stage ankle arthritis should seriously consider TAR

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Thanks checking Monday with Foot Dr, if Bone Spur  or Planter F, then Ankle Surgeon August 4. Glad doing well, and the mention of Sailing be still my heart, good for you
  • Posted

Congratulations great news. Positive news is always good to share

Thank u, Karran

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to post info for those others who will be in need of this!
  • Posted

Thanks for the post, so many people on this site are in two minds about different types of surgery. This will be very encouraging to them. It is great you are doing so well. God bless.
  • Posted

Hi John what hospital did you have the ankle replacement surgery in ??? If you don't mind me asking.

• Posted

Went to Foot Dr. Today , I have 3 Bone Spurs , Arthritus, and Inflimation, got  2 Cortizone shots, feels better hope  don't wake up to a negative surprise. Thanks for shari g information.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.