Annual winter warts on back of hands

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi - starting the winter of 2018, I started getting a few small warts on the back of my hands. They start on the knuckles, but begin to spread down the back of my hands, and up the fingers if I don't constantly manage them.

Soaking my hands in rubbing alcohol slows their growth and slows the spreading, and I use Compound W to get rid of them when they appear. However, this continues all winter. Once spring weather comes, it stops. Each winter, they come back.

I saw a dermatologist, but he told me warts don't act that way. It's been three winters in a row, so somehow, mine do act this way. His only suggestion was Compound W, which I've been using already.

Has anyone experienced this? The Compound W temporarily leaves burned, ugly skin all over the back of my hands each winter. If anyone can recommend preventative solutions, I would be grateful.

Thanks!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Do you have the warts on your hands at the moment? Can you post a picture?

• Posted

Thank you for the response!

I don't have any currently. As soon as I see a new one, I use Compound W to get it right away. Took care of a few this morning.

They start as small, smooth, round, and pink. Sometimes grouped together in 2 or 3. If I leave them alone, the tops turn white or clear, and they grow in size.

I've attached two pics from the internet to show what they look like. These pics are not of my hand.

• Posted

The way you have described these lumps makes me think they are Molluscum bumps and not Warts. If you can post a pic on here when you get one it may help. Molluscum is caused by a virus and is usually just left alone to burn itself out, which can be a few months or a few years. Are you sharing towels with anyone?

Are you eating a balanced diet? Molluscum can be most troublesome in people who are a bit run down.Do you eat plenty of fruit and veg?

• Posted

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate the information. I will take a picture the next time a new one pops up. I will also look more into Molluscum bumps. Whatever I have, they spread rapidly if I don't kill them immediately.

I am not sharing a towel with anyone, although I was in 2018 when these started. I am eating a healthy, balanced diet, but will try to increase the veg if that would help.

I am curious if Molluscum bumps can activate when the skin is exposed to the cold. I'll do some research. As I have stayed inside since Sunday, the new ones are occurring less frequently. There are none today, but I had 4 yesterday morning. When I go outside, the area of the back of my hand where they appear will turn red, and starting that day, new ones will pop up. If I stay inside all week (I'm currently working from home due to covid restrictions), I'll get a few the first day, and each day I stay inside the odds of new one decreases. And as I said, they only appear in the winter since 2018.

• Posted

By the evening, a new one appeared. I've attached a picture. They start small, smooth and pink. If I were to leave it alone, it would grow bigger, and new ones would sprout right next to it, and spread out across the back of my hand very quickly.

I have been killing them with Compound W, which is why my skin is full of dead patches and small scabs. It has been very successful in stopping the new ones from spreading as soon as I apply it. Those scabs heal fairly soon, but since I am applying it to new areas almost daily, the back of my hand always looks like an ugly mess of scabs. Once the scabs heal, the skin underneath is clean and free from any bumps.

However new ones eventually pop up somewhere different.

• Posted

A second one tonight. Here is another picture.

Thanks again for the replies. I really appreciate it.

• Posted

your pics are are a bit too hazy and the bumps are too small to get an idea. Can you look closely at the bump? Maybe with a magnifying glass if you have one. Molluscum usually have a dimple in the middle.Have you ever just left these bumps alone to see what happens?

You may also like to investigate Granuloma Annulare although that is not so common.

You havent said if they itch?.

• Posted

I have not noticed dimples. I'll try to get a look through a magnifying glass.

When I have left them alone, they grow larger and multiply rapidly. The speed at which they spread is why I try to kill them immediately with Compound W.

They don't itch, but the skin does tingle as new ones pop up. sometimes I can feel them there before I see them.

I'll also research Granuloma Annulare. Thanks for the info. At this point I think I need to see a 3rd dermatologist after I look into the info you've provided. I appreciate the help. It will enable me to ask better questions when I make my appointment.

• Posted

I agree with you,but it would be a good idea to let quite a few of these lesions just appear and then leave them alone to develop normally so that a dermatologist can get a better idea. If you continually remove them there are no clues left for diagnosis or biopsy. Have you had any blood tests ? Full blood count and glucose count maybe.

Do let us know how you get on. Most intriguing.

• Posted

I understand. Thanks for that advice. Once I set an appointment a few days in advance, I'll leave one or two alone so they will be there for examination.

• Posted

Try to leave them all alone as sometimes these sort of lesions grow in a pattern which would help diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.