Anxiety about never recovering from shingles

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was experiencing horrible back pain and spasms for a week. it wasn't until I realized that I had a rash, too, that I realized must be shingles. I'm 34 now, and I had shingles twice before, but it was NEVER like this. I finished the medication last week, but since then I've noticed the tingling sensation return and i feel uncomfortable in my own body. there is pain now in my hip. the place where the rash was has started itching, but there is also numbness so it feels sometimes like I can't scratch the itch.

I'm horribly anxious that it could be flaring up again. at the same time, these seem like common symptoms that people can experience long term. i am also really scared of that. it just want my body to go back to normal. I'm terrified it never will.

I appreciate anyone sharing if they had a similar experience and they recovered. I need hope that it's possible.

thank you

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

really you should not scratch the germ gets under your fingernails and can spread to other areas touched. i have had shingles for a long time. the shingex vaccine will help with less time for break outs and less frequent reoccurrence. there are two shots and well worth the investment. also hydroxyzine helps with the itching a great deal. OTC gummies with hemp extract also helps .

• Posted

Hi Amanda, what medication did you get for shingles? I know you can't really help me here and this is awkward, t I wanted to explain a little about my situation and if you think your medication may be a good idea for me to try,

I'm male and was told by doctor I had shingles in 2019. I didn't get any medication offered though, over the first 1-2 years of covid I had some weird feelings in my penis area but this has mostly gone away now.

The problem I am facing now, which is obviously embarrassing - is that I can't feel my penis at all. I have difficulties with erections and peening too. I have Tadalafil which helps, I think this has some

minor glans feeling at tmes too, and restores erectile function and surprisingly urine has more force on tablets and I am able to control it better.

I find this quite upsetting tbh, it feels like life has ended and I am stuck in limbo, unable to move forward. Do you think I should ask doctor for shingles medication, or is that too late now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.