Anxiety after Afib diagnosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 47, active and generally but could have eaten better over the years (now amending that) and had was diagnosed with paroxysmal AF about 6 weeks ago. Echo and heart scans have all come back clean and normal which is great and for the most part bisoprolol seems to be controlling it. What I'm struggling most with though is confidence and anxiety - I'm feeling every little twinge and sensation in my body and that gets me anxious about clots, imminent heart attacks etc. Docs and Hospital have tried to reassure me that I'm not at imminent risk and I don't disagree with their advice - but I just want to know, is this level of anxiety normal? That's debilitating me more than the AF has so far (touch wood). Thanks!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I too had a similar diagnosis and health /active background.

The feelings of anxiety and fear are perfectly normal, though considerable.

Although tempting, too much self research can be very counter productive. As on occasion I felt I wouldn’t even survive till the end of reading an article…. I was thankfully wrong.

I’m circa a year in with having AF diagnosed. I now look at it as a very common condition that’s easily and effectively treated with medication.

I actually feel better now than before the diagnosis.

Made me exercise in a more consistent and disciplined way. Actually think about what I eat and when.

Socially I can make plans for an early morning run, get together after a night out as know I’ll be hangover free…

Saved money too! .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.