Anxiety also making me worry about family illness

Posted , 4 users are following.

health anxiety is really getting in the way of life right now.

bit of back story where i think my anxiety is from. i lost my mum very suddenly when i was 20 and she was only 49 so the thought of sudden death scares me. it really hit home you can be here one minute and not the next.

secondly i escaped a very nasty marriage 5 years ago which has been plagued after with the ex husband causing so many problems with our 3 teen children. im talking family courts constantly, police, injunctions, being horrible to the children so have been through all 3 refusing contact and now live with me permanently. so its no wonder i have anxiety i guess.

i dont want to tempt fate as its not even been a year since the last police incident but its the calmest my life has been. children are recovering well from all the mental health issues the past years have caused, literally everything is better right now....aside from my anxiety. im in a constant state that something bad will happen and its manifesting in health anxiety. i always have physical symptoms (headaches right now ive posted before) but im also worry about my children.

One of my children ihas been reporting itchy skin usually in the shower, and its steadily got worse, was tops of feet but now gets it all over body. absolutely no rash or anything physically there. why oh why did i Google it. everything always pops up to Hodgkin's lymphoma. ive booked a drs apt today hopefully just to be told some moisturiser will cure all but for the first hour i felt sick with worry and convinced myself of the worst. does anyone else with anxiety worry constantly about family? i cant go a week without something worrying me im so drained. i cant take anxiety meds they make me feel completely mental and 10x times worse. therapy waiting list is 2years on NHS and i cant afford private. anyone else like this?

Anyone recommend some good self help books, sites, anything thats helped health anxiety. i just want to enjoy life without catastrosizing everything.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

It's certainly not unusual to experience significant anxiety regarding the multitude of life circumstances you've encountered. In fact, anxiety or worries regarding your children are actually instinctual to a great extent. It's very important to resist the urge to use Google as a resource for medical diagnostic concerns. Realize that while a tremendous number of websites exist to provide general information regarding human health and disease, it is most often provided in summary within the context of bullet points that are devoid of the actual true complexity regarding clinical medicine and human disease, disorders, syndromes and illnesses.

The main problem in use of the internet for such purposes is that in the absent of the necessary clinical training and experience, visitors to health-related websites tend to seek out a single symptom that is recognized as similar and otherwise fail to consider more accurately how the constellation of symptoms present themselves in a clinical setting. It's critical to realize that a single symptom in no way whatsoever rises to the extent that warrants investigation of a wide array of diseases. It is more accurately the presence of a symptom that arises among other particular symptoms in a very particular manner that would warrant further evaluation.

Pruritus only occurs in 10% of cases of Hodgkin's Lymphoma and most always accompanied by drenching night sweats and fever that occur prior to diagnosis of Hodgkin's. It would be a last consideration in your son's instance. You have to realize that it's not a simplistic task to accurately diagnose clinical disease and requires many years of clinical training and experience to undertake such a task. If diagnosis were as simple as using Google, it would suggest pre-medical college, medical school, residency and fellowship to be nothing more than a waste of time.

The most common cause of pruritus in children following exposure to a hot bath or shower is dry skin that arises to the leeching of vital oils that keep the skin moist and supple.

Regarding the self-help industry, while there are an extremely extensive array of books available for such purposes, they all follow traditional patterns of wounded-healer models of help, or in other words people who have suffered from any particular encounter tend to express knowledge sufficient to help others and this is actually not the case. Exposure to, and suffering from, any type of psychic trauma does not equate with the subsequent ability to provide clinical assistance to others. The self-help industry also provides an array of entirely unresearched techniques suggested to be curative, when in actuality they merely constitute a novel idea or notion that becomes structured in ways thought to provide guidance and curative practices. Virtually anyone can write such a text and although authors profess various levels of education from Masters to Ph.D., this doesn't necessarily equate with any accurate premise regarding treatment or help.

It's important to realize that if self-help techniques were actually beneficial, then sufferers would have already helped themselves in doing so. By example, people suffering from anxiety or depression disorders are often affected to such variable extents by the troublesome, and sometimes crippling, features of the disorders that trying to engage the self-help premise invariably falls short because there are factors of limitations and troubling circumstances that lead to the very premise of needing help but are unable to help themselves. Thus, people who are capable of helping themselves don't require a self-help book to achieve the requisite goals. Do you see my point here?

Lastly, the extensive stress factors that commonly weigh upon broken families tend to wane with time and circumstances that were once driving people to the extent of outrage and even violence change with time due to the transformations that often influence final outcomes. While rare instances of tragedy occur, it is more often the case that resolution slowly becomes more the normal outcome. Children grow older and more mature with the ability to clearly state their preferences for parental care , while the emotionally charged circumstances between parents become more distant and settled to some extent.

The sudden loss of a parent most often makes a critical emotional impact upon most children who experience it. It is loss of great magnitude and while grief transitions to more of a state of acceptance with time, it nevertheless constitutes a reminder of the frailties that can suddenly and irreversibly arise. It is important, however, to realize that the sudden death of someone so close does not actually produce a similar circumstance lying in wait. In other words, the tragic and sudden death of your mother is in no way relevant to the course and outcome of your own life other than the knowledge that we all acknowledge in that death at some point is unavoidable. You can't simply live in fear that a similar fate lies unexpectedly just around the corner in your own instance, for such thoughts are steeped in anxiety rather than rational facts. You're going to be fine.

In reality, you've very successfully confronted and prevailed regarding the tremendously stressful events that some people simply cannot successfully overcome. You've been through a great deal of tragedy and challenging circumstances and yet you're still going strong and remain entirely committed to the preservation of a safe and productive family environment for your children. You are far stronger than you might imagine, so it's very important not to discount your ability for such achievements. It makes you special among the many who are unable to withstand such constant stress. The point is while making your way through life's difficulties, never fail to give recognition to the awards, integrity and self-confidence that you inarguably possess. Children are very instinctually perceptive and their preference for the care and attention to their safety and well-being has already been demonstrated by their choice to live under your guidance. Do not take this lightly for even a moment. It says a great deal about who you are and what you represent.

You possess the ability for self-help without realizing it. You already know that you have to be strong for your children's welfare and continued success in achieving adulthood themselves, so maybe it's time to see yourself in a different light and one that demonstrates the self-confidence and guidance that you provide them on a daily basis.

You may not need as much help as you do the mere reminder that you constitute the guiding light in the lives of your family. That strength and confidence is already in place and requires nothing more than for you to set your worries aside and demonstrate it to yourself and your loved ones.

Best regards

• Posted

our thoughts are very powerful and can make us feel good or sick. I worried about my family and mostly the children for years and it only made me miserable. Nothing ever happened that was bad so I did that to myself for nothing.

I will send you a private message to take care

• Posted

hi. my experiences are very similar to yours. i lost a parent to cancer and at the same time was in a terrible relationship which ended soon after the death of my parent, myself and my children had to start over and ever since my anxiety has been based mainly around health. my daugher had a swollen lymph node that didnt go down and i convinced myself she had cancer, it was petrifying! cancer is my biggest fear and it triggers my anxiety all the time. im on sertraline and the side effects do make you feel worse at first but im trying to push through. have you tried any cbt? there are apps for it and also meditation apps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.