Anxiety and the Super Bowl

Posted , 2 users are following.

The Super Bowl is on TV today. Maybe in 4 hours. My neighbors above me are SO loud, they jump up and down, shaking the things on my wall. They are screaming SO loud and like I said, the game hasn't even started. The woman has two teenage sons and it's the two of them that stay every other week that do it. She's quiet. She knows I can hear them when they get loud and that I don't like it. She just moved in a couple of months ago and I've been here years. I texted her once. " It's too loud, I really don't like it when I can't enjoy being in my own home" she wrote back "it's MY home too." I'm all for following your team, I am a nutcase at games, but in your home, disturbing your every thought, it's going to drive me crazy. I know the first think you'll suggest is go someplace during the game. Well, I just had a hip replacement and that's impossible. My dog is scared of loud noises too. I didn't start this until I began living alone. I'd think people were coming in the basement windows and sneaking up my steps.I put a lock on the outside of the door. When I drive a car, I can't have on the radio because I might not hear the sound of an ambulance or fire truck. I am scared when I drive that a child or dog is going to run out in front of my car if my mind isn't on task. I stay in my house most of the time. Netflix is my friend. I text people. But, if I hear a door slam or a horn honk, I instantly go into panic mode. 4th of July is horrible. Things like this about to happen, are really awful. I guess I can turn my TV up as loud as it will go to drown them out but darn, how noisy would THAT be? I try to think, what if I had a party, would I make people whisper and walk in socks? I think the people first, should invite you to join them, come down to at least explain that there will be some noise and apologize in advance. I know it won't kill me, that's what I keep sayin over and over. I'm trapped in the house, I don't want to bother friends with helping me walk or get in and out of a car, and add my dog. I wouldn't leave her at home and let her go nuts alone. I've thought ear buds and watch movies on Netflix on my laptop in a room far away from their noise. I guess I'll see if I can make it through the Super LOUD Bowl!!!! I have a startle response that's incredibly paralyzing. My older brothers used to wait and jump out behind doors to scare me and laugh. They's scratch on the screens of my bedroom to scare me. I'm not really sure how I started being so scared of noise. Does anyone else have this problem? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

did you end up watching the game? i didn't even bother. I couldn't get into it. Plus i'm from New England so. But yeah I was checking out this forum. Idk.. I just thought it might help. i suffer from anxioty take klonapin and all that.. Among other things... anyway i hope things get better for you. cheer up
    • Posted

I had the game on as background noise and much to my surprise and pleasure, they all left and went someplace else to watch the game. I ended up having a very nice and productive day. Doing my home PT 3x daily but it's so frustrating and slow going. Painful, oh my... it's like torture. My surgeon has to know this because he gives me 10mg Percocet to take 1/2 hr. before I go to PT and for later at home that night when I'm so sore I can barely walk. They don't tell you beforehand that this is going to feel like you've been in the car accident from HELL! Or that a medical professional will tell you it's the most violent and aggressive surgery they've seen. I mean, they are literally ripping your leg out of the socket... sawing bone off, cutting through muscles, tendons and nerves. Rehab is not for sissies. I don't know how elderly people do it. I'm sure some probably never walk again, or can't walk without an assistive device.

It was very nice of you to check in and say hello. Nice to know someone was thinking of me..  I like this forum, a lot more than some others I've been in. You can tell sometimes just by the quality of their website that they are not trying to sell you something or phish for information. Although I'm sure everything we say is already on the web, nothing goes away. If you want to do something fun. Take your Twitter handle, Google it and see how many places you show up. I used mine and I could read every post I have on this site. "Help, can't trim my toenails" - it sorta freaked me out, but then, as long as it's not my real name, and I'm not doing anything illegal, vulgar or hateful, I don't care. I was ready to get out the aluminum foil and make a hat though. If you ever feel like you need to talk, you can always try one of those little gray envelope thingees. I hope you are doing well.

• Posted

yeah good luck at that appointment. 10mgs wouldn't cut it for me. I'd prob eat a bigger one before hand. I've been stuck in this damn mess of mine so long I just don't know what to do. I feel it's hopeless. Idk.. Anyway hope all works out for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.