Anxiety / Depression

Posted , 6 users are following.

Looking for a bit of help, after weighing up my alcahol intake over the last few months i've cut down alot and was able to do so quite easily. I would probally class myself as a heavy drinker rather than an alcahaolic, (Which I have now changed, and am just drinking once a week).

For the last few weeks whenever I drink however it's causing mass anxiety. Recently this has now progressed to Depression for a few days after. In my life right now I definitely have nothing to be bothered about and it's not an underlying issue and I was never like this before my binge drinking years....

My question is, why when I drink to have I have these feelings for the next few days???? Is this because of my previous over indulgence of 10 years of heavy drinking that my body now just cant cope with a few pints?

I went cold turkey in Januray and got anxiety that bad coming off that I couldn't do it so went out and had a few drinks to get rid. Since then the anxiety has gone to be replaced by depression.

I wondered is this PAWS? or Acute Withdrawl and has anyone ever been in the same boat?

Was thinking about going cold turkey for a few months and riding the anxiety to see if I can come out the other side and see if I can return to the social aspect of drinking...

Any feedback or people that have gone through this would be most welcome... Cheers guys!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes, it is likely to be PAWS. Your body over a prolonged period gets used to the alcohol and there is more to it than just virtually stopping.

Your body will probably want months to adjust (both brain and body) back to the way it was previously.

There are drugs for this, but it isn't usually as easy as going to see your GP.

• Posted

I put a swear word in my post and it's off to be moderated... So aplogies if another post is re-published after.. I'll try and remember what I wrote, and try again...

Question 1. If drinking even 4 -5 beers on a friday night will this mean that the clock starts again.. and my brain and body will have to re-heal again... Or can everything heal when you are just socially drinking.

• Posted

Question 2. Timescales wise, am I right in thinking a good 4 months sober my rid these symptoms. I do want to live a normal drinking life and at 27 I feel so annoyed that I may not be able to go out down the pub or out with friends etc... If the 4 months works and the mind and body is re-balanced if you were to drink again (in moderation). Would these symptoms not come back.... Or is it now whenever I drink I will get these symtoms regardless?

Appreciate your feedback, Thanks

• Posted

Well, you're still relatively young, so you can't have been drinking for that long. So, yes, a few months should return you to normal. Some people are predispose to having issues with alcohol, i.e. they're built in a way, that they can't take alcohol like a normal person and the self preservation gene doesn't kick in.

There are a couple of drugs, nalfemene and naltrexone that dull the parts of the brain that are receptive to alcohol, which kind of temper your drinking. You only take a tablet on a day or a couple of hours beforehand when you know you're going drinking.

There's two people on the forum that know more than me about them and I'm sure one of them will join in at one stage.

• Posted

Cheers mate.

Really appreciate your feedback

• Posted

Hi...It is the GABA receptors in your brain...rebounding or something like that I read.  The 3 go hand in hand....Drinking...then comes the anxiety and depression when you stop.  It is just the way it is medically.

I now have not drank for about 12 days...and my anxiety is much less...and so is my depression.  I will always have the 2 because my brain is wired that way....but it is SO MUCH WORSE the day after drinking.....and it has to do with the GABA....

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback. From reading all the comments it points to this. A detox to get back to normal is definitely required. Think I've been over doing it the past few years!!! Whereas I don't see myself as an alcoholic I definitely think I drink unsafe quantities when I do.

Btw it's good to hear your on a detox again. I was following your last posts. Good luck!!!!

• Posted

And good luck to you on lessening your consumption...you will definetly feel better..but not on the days after you drink...it just is how it is with this alcohol.  It is a beast...I call myself the dragonslayer now...LOL...

I am not letting it win....but that is just for ME...my body and mind can't handle it anymore.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.