Anxiety, Loss of Appetite due to Clarithromycin (Biaxin), when does it get better?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last week, I was prescribed 2x500 tabs of Biaxin per day for pneumonia. Day 1, my symptoms improved, but I was so ill, fatigued, heart was racing all night, kept waking myself up. I thought it was maybe the pneumonia, and kept taking pills.

By Day 3, I suddenly noticed I had lost significant weight, and very quickly. That has never happened to me ever in my life, I normally have a difficult time losing weight. I went in to speak with my doctor. I asked for bloodwork (my anxiety convinced myself that something was seriously wrong, but came back clear). I was told I could either finish the dose, or start a new one for another week. I have a 9month old breastfed baby girl, and wanted to minimize her antibiotic exposure, and decided to tough it out.

At this point I Googled Biaxin and realized that I am not alone! And has it ever been tough. I have been off of them since Thursday (3 days ago) and I still have zero appetite (I normally love food!), my sense of taste is affected, my milk supply is down, my feelings of anxiety are through the roof! I can't sleep, I wake myself up in the night, I'm worried about my girl not eating enough. My mind feels like it has gone through such a ringer. I feel like this drug has ruined my life. Please tell me it gets better! I have been taking probiotics and food throughout to no effect. Is it just going to take a while?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

my experience of this med has been very different to you.

i am massively hungry most of tge time and ive inly been taking them two days. i rarely feel hungry so this is new for me.

additionally i have a massive bloated tummy all the time and dreadful wind.

• Posted

You should be careful with how much pills you take, always follow the doctors advice, its possible to go down in dosage slightly, but its risky. Do not go over on dosage, its dangerous and can exacerbate the side effects of the drug.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.