Anxiety medications. Feeling fed up

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey everyone. Not sure where to start. A year ago I had a near death experience. around October, I experienced some mild anxiety (was told it was bertigo) and dismissed it. As the months went on, I noticed my anxiety getting a tiny bit worse. For example in February I went out for drinks for my birthday and after having one was feeling very anxious (I never had this issue). In March, my grandma passed away. About two weeks later, I started getting panic attacks every few days to the point where I had to leave my job and can barely leave my house. My GP gave me Xanax since I was in his office during a random panic attack (was there for a sore throat and had a panic attack in the waiting room).

Finally got in with a psychiatrist 2 weeks ago and was given Prozac 10mg along with continuing the Xanax. The Prozac made me even worse. My anxiety was so bad I did not leave my home for 2 weeks and missed important family events. I am now starting Zoloft and very on edge. I'm afraid of having the horrible experience I had on the Prozac which was a major increase in anxiety, throwing up, no appetite, frequent panic attacks, and not sleeping.

Just wondering if anyone can share their experiences with anxiety medication and if it helped or not. I don't want to keep trying out meds if nothing will help and only seems to make me feel worse.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I am doing well with small amounts of Ativan and Citalopram 10mg that may get increased to 20mg in a,few weeks.

My Dr feels that Citalopram has the least side affects especially after you adjust.

I have a friend that just switched from Paxil to Zoloft and they said they had about 5 days of hell but are doing okay now.

• Posted

I have had the same experience with medications like you. Unfortunately, there are some meds that work and some that don't but you won't know until you try. For me, I didn't want to keep shopping for medications so I relied on therapy and my nutritionist (in my case). About 2 years after I tried meds, I was going through a rough time and wanted meds to give me that "boost" to get better then I began to ween off of it after about 2-3 months and relied on therapy however, I was prescribed anti-depressants but I think it's the same regardless what the meds are for. What I was given worked for me that time but I still remain hesitant to medication as it can cause chemical inbalances that can be difficult to correct on your own.
    • Posted

I agree Allison, I don't plan on staying on these things personally. I start counseling in a couple weeks. I am only on them now because I had a heart blockage and a Stent put in, then I got very anxious and of course it's not good especially now.
    • Posted

Yeah, I mean there's nothing wrong with medication if you will die or if the lack of the meds in your life will greatly interrupt your daily life but if there's something you can do on your own or naturally, I'd prefer that because then your body depends on your meds instead of nature.
  • Posted

I'm on Celexa. It calms then. But doesn't fix them. I'm in the process of weaning myself and doing therapy and natural remedies. Try anything with lavender. Calms.
    • Posted

Yes, Citalopram is Celexa and am finding it very helpful. But, I am glad my counseling will start so hopefully I can change enough to make things grwat and joyful without meds
  • Posted

I had the exact same reaction to Prozac when I was put on it about 15 years ago. For me it is probably the worst drug I've ever tried for depression. I took Zoloft for about 4 years and it did help with my depression but not so much with my anxiety

I hope the Zoloft works for you.

• Posted

Prozac did the same to me, but it went away after about a week or so. Lexapro is a good one. Stay away from Paxil. It's like going through you know what trying to get off of it. A lot of docs here won't even prescribe it. The first time I took Prozac I had no problem. I think since it went generic these companies have done something to it. A lot of people say the same thing about it.
  • Posted

Thank you all for the imput, much appreciated! I've actually been in therapy for about 5 years now after my ex committed suicide. Of course when my anxiety started recently I let my therapist know and we tried working through it but I seemed to only get worse as the weeks went on which is why I am now at the medicine stage.

I was diagnosed with depression as a teen and was on Lexapro. Gained a ton of weight so I'm trying to steer clear of it. That is why I was first placed on Prozac and now Zoloft. Really hoping the Zoloft helps me because as of now, I can not go about my daily life. I can barely leave my house without freaking out.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. It seems as though you have a good therapist though and a doctor that is trying to help. I can imagine the torment you are experiencing at the moment because I've lived through a few severe episodes myself.

All I can suggest is that you tenaciously keep putting one foot in front of the other and stick it out. I think the Zoloft will help. You CAN do it, you WILL get there. I'm sure you'll get a lot of encouragement and kind hearted support here, I've found some very good supportive people here.

I wish you all the very best.

• Posted

Thank you so much. It is very difficult. I just want my life back
  • Posted

Caryn, I'm in the process of weaning off of Paxil that I've been on for 16 years. It pooped out and I have been dealing with what seems like withdrawal symptoms since then(July 5th). I've had to increase my clonazepam from .125mg to 1mg to cope halfway. Docs were wanting to put me on antipsychotic medication and I was against it. Went in the hospital and the doc there suggested Cymbalta. I said something about Prozac because I have taken it before. Anyway he kept me on Cymbalta and I couldn't sleep. He said Prozac and Cymbalta were the same except for the Cymbalta helps with pain. When I came home from the hospital I had a night I couldn't sleep and one in the hospital that I had a hard time sleeping and I took something for it. Anyway, after I was home for two days I stopped the Cymbalta and started on Prozac. I had taken it before with no problems, but this time the anxiety was awful. My doc told me to dose down off of 10mg to 5mg. I was on 10mg for about 15 days and dosed down again to 5mg for a week or a little more and I stopped. All this week I've been having akathesia and it's been about to drive me crazy. I'm wondering if it could be the Prozac.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.