Anxiety , Poor Sleep & thyroid?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. I had a partial thyroidectomy a few years ago & have some low thyroid symptoms, eg I have to take Movicol daily for chronic constipation, loss of body hair, muzzy heads, dizziness, dry eyes, itchy ears, feel the cold, low body temperature. Slow pulse & low blood pressure.

The thing is I also suffer from anxiety, pounding heartbeat & poor sleep pattern, often waking at about 2 am unable to sleep. These symptoms I thought were HYPERthyroid?

Could these symptoms also be HypoT?

14/03/2013 TSH 2.85 (0.2 - 4.5) & FT4 12.7 (9 - 24)

Not on any treatment.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

PS to previous. I realise that my results are in the range, but is it possible to suffer symptoms as my FT4 is quite low in the range? My doctor doesn't think my symptoms are connected to thyroid. Some other symptoms I forgot to mention. irregular heartbeats, plantar fasciitis & calf cramps.

Thanks for looking.

• Posted

Hi JD

I think all your symptoms are related to hypothyroidism. What did your doctor offer as an alternative illness then.

I have had plantar f but cleared up mysteriously! and my doc just said 'yeeeees' when I told her about foot pain,. They don't want to commit themselves any more.

• Posted

I haven't been offered any diagnosis. My doc is treating/investigating my symptoms on an individual basis which has involved numerous trips to to the surgery & hospital. My next appointment is for a scan on my ears as I have balance/dizziness issues.
  • Posted

Hi Jammie, I'm new here and felt I just had to comment on your post as I have seen people in other forums having similar problems to yours and I am aghast. I had a partial thyroidectomy 28 years ago and was given 100mcg of Oroxine immediately after the operation. I was told that the dose would tell my remaining half thyroid to go to sleep as the tablet would do all the work. And it did .. I was absolutely fine. My ideal tsh was 0.68. Of course you will be hypothyroid if part of your thyroid has been removed and no replacement hormone has been given. You may have to look for another doctor.
  • Posted

I also suffer from hyperthyroidism and had partial thyroidectomy, still suffering the same symptoms I had before surgery anxiety, no sleep, heart pounding, panic attack I even have these anxiety attacks while sleeping I've spoken to my doc and he said after surgery my body will go back to normal and it's been two years and counting and it's still the same.

I was even put on antidepressants for my anxiety which helps me sleep sometimes other time I lie in bed waiting to fall asleep I even went three days without sleep, and now I'm on the Brinks of frustration, because I can't calm down sometimes or even know how to relax because of this thyroid issue.

I cry sometimes as I feel trapped in my own body cuz I cant help myself.

• Posted

I found out by accident recently that my body isn't converting T4 to T3 very well. My T4 result was 12.7 (in range) but my T3 result was low. Try asking yout doctor whether this could be the case for you.
    • Posted

And ask to have a T3 test. By the way, wearing supportive, cushioned shoes such as trainers helps with plantar fascia. Particularly important to have instep support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.