Any information about whether there’s a treatment for Spinocerebellar ataxia anywhere in the world?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I got the worst news of my life today, my brothers have Spinocerebellar ataxia.

My dad had Spinocerebellar ataxia so me and my siblings took a test to see if we had it or not, I didn’t have it but my brothers did. They still don’t know and I don’t know if we should tell them or not especially that they’re only 16 years old, and I can’t imagine being told that u have an illness that can’t be treated, especially that my dad has the same illness and we’ve seen what he had to go through.

Right now they have no symptoms, they’re twins, and they’re 16 years old. Is there any treatment anywhere in the world for Spinocerebellar ataxia, or anything to give us hope?

My dad symptoms didn’t start until his early 40s, also I have another sister who’s in her mid 20s that was diagnosed couple years ago, her symptoms started early, in her 20s.

So could we at least push the symptoms way if there’s no treatment?

The symptoms my dad had, (started in his 40s) :

• losing balance when walking, he needs someone to hold him so he doesn’t fall.
  • His hands are shaky he can’t write or eat with spoon or fork.
  • In his 50s he couldn’t swallow food or drink anything without choking, so he was fed by a tube for a while, but right now he gotten better and he can eat and drink without choking and we took the tube off.

My sister symptoms(started in her 20s) :

• she can walk on her own, unlike my dad but u can tell that she loses balance while walking but is not as bad as my dad.
  • Her hands are shaky but not as bad as my dad, she can write, eat, and do anything pretty much but she have to be careful.

If u have any information that could help please let me know.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.