Any tips for calf pain due to slipped disk please?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi since I've slipped 3 disks I've had awful leg pain (about 3 years now). What gets to me the most and worries me intermittently is calf pain in my right leg in the fleshy part towards the inside. I have been for lots if DVT tests and they have all come back negative and said it must be nerve pain as a result of my slipped disks. Some days it drives me crazy - I feel like I want to cut out my calf muscle to get rid of it!!! Has anyone it any tips. Massaging it seems to aggravate it more and so does tens machine. Icing helps and so does stetching but whilst I'm actually doing those things it actually hurts more. Sometimes I wonder if I over stretch it. I have a lot if flexibility and even told by physios I am too flexible! Any tips or personal experiences welcome

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have nerve damage to my left calf and understand exactly how you feel, I get relief also with ice and stretching, I wander if stretching out your hamstrings will help relieve it a little, I know with mine I have to stretch several times a day and I find if I'm on my feet for long it aggravates it more, sorry I can't be if more help 😊

• Posted

Pregabalin is also good and not as addictive as diazapam(I take bother when needed) but again just when it's severe, good luck

• Posted

Oh I meant to add I dont take both together, sorry for any confusion
  • Posted

I take diazepam I wouldn't recommend u take all the time just when it's sever it relaxes the muscles also there is another herbal drug u can get, can't remember the name but if u went to a proper Herbal. Shop am sure they'd point u in the right direction. Drink plenty water too, helps keep yr muscles supple

• Posted

Hi, Ive the exact same problem, firstly caused by SIJ trapped nerve then 3-4 years ago a severly slipped disc. I too have been told one of my problems is beening too flexible, (nearly 50 and I can still touch the floor behind me not just toes, hands flat on the ground, legs straight, sort of thing). Dont forget when treating the calf pain the route cause is in the spin. Have you tried the TENS machine on the spine, thats where the nerve is beeing pinched. I walk, 2-3 miles a day, eat handfuls of ibuprofen, and do the excersis suggested online. The lying on your back, flexing your pelvis, turning your legs etc. Find one you are comfortable with. My Mother had the same problem and swore by her, small inexpensive domestic rowing machine. Just 5 or 10 minutes every morning and evening religiously. It worked well for her. Good Luck...xxx
    • Posted

Handfuls of ibuprofen will cause u major stomach problems in the future
  • Posted

I find walking makes it worse and anything that involves bending the knee. The muscle constantly feels tight even though there isn excessive flexibility in the calfs and hamstrings? I'm taking 300mg of gabapentin but maybe I should up the dose?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.