Any tips to make each day easier?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi

im a 34 female that was diagnosed with Glandular Fever end of march 2023. i wasnt that symptomatic at the time other than swollen sore glands and a bit of a sore throat but since mid april i feel like ive lost myself entirely. the worst symptoms for me have been

fatigue - feeling like my normal routine is near on impossible

brain fog and dizziness - always worse with the fatigue. feels like your floating or your head alone is swimming, like your eyes and brain dont talk to each other about movements and as if your brain has a lag on basic functions.

feeling completely shattered but unable to sleep through the night or get good quality sleep.

feeling as if the air i breathe doesnt provide me with enough oxygen.

from what ive been reading others have suffered similar, and i cant begin to explain the relieve to know its not just me.

does anyone have any advice to helping make this a little easier as im getting so unbelievably down with it all i dont know where to turn. i was an active crossfitter, with a stressful job and wonderfully exciting home life full of travel and adventure and i feel all these are being taken away.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Larne. I am really sorry that you are going through this. I am 19 month into mono (plus perhaps a couple of times of Covid infections in between) and I can relate with that.

The best advice I can give you, is to pace your activities. You already might have noticed the delayed dynamic of the symptoms with respect to physical activities and exhaustion: if you overdo it (even with standing or sitting for prolonged hours), you will experience symptoms 24-72 hours later. Moreover, a very exhausting day can put you in a 'crash' which can last for weeks or months.

So, first know your capacity (in terms of amounts of activities your body can tolerate without crashing the next day), like number of hours you can sit at your desk or on sofa, number of steps... and in combination. Whenever you feel tired or dizzy, lie on the ground, preferably with your legs elevated.

You may experience new symptoms, and that is quite normal. Don't panic.

Don't push your body through. This illness is among the few illnesses that gets worst with exercise, or by gradual increase in activities. Increase your activity ONLY after you are quite sure that your body's capacity has increased (like two weeks of 'good days'), and even then, increase very slowly, like 10 % at each time. You should expect a very slow progress (even 2-3 years for some people), so always follow your body and be behind your body, not in ahead of it.

• Posted

mind me asking how you are doing?

I am over the active stage too but now dealing with the aftermath.

I was an active gym goer and hiker and now I'm out of work struggling to cope with basic life tasks.

so scared but weirdly calm knowing I'm not alone.

hope you've got some relief.

Lucy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.