Anyone?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I posted a discussion about a month ago with no replies. Just double checking has anyone in here had vats surgery on each lung?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I posted this awhile back. Just wanted to know has your lifestyle changes in anyway and how. Is there anything you do differently? Just curious. Thank you so much.

Hello to all. I am a 35 year old male who now has suffered from his second pneumothorax and vats surgery. The first one occurred about 13 years ago on the left side, second occurring just a couple months ago on the right. Now having both of my lungs surgically repaired, I was wondering if there was anyone else in the same situation. If so, any advice or helpful hints you could give me. Enlightment on quality of living, restrictions, anything to avoid, etc. Thank you in advance.

• Posted

There is a spontaneous pneumothorax group on Facebook. I have found there are a lot more and quicker responses to questions there. My daughter has had 3 SP's and no surgery so can't help answer your question.

• Posted

Justin, 

I've had my VATS 2 years apart - one of them included bullae resection (aka part of the apex of my left lung was removed) while the other one was only the mechanical pleurodesis and stapling. 

As far as physical activities go, there's no one size fit all - you've got to listen to your body. My doctor highly recommended resuming a normal life and not worrying about this (apart from undergoing extreme pressure changes). 

Since you've had an episode on the other lung and that was fine after the VATS, that's a good indication that the intervention holds. 

So just take things slow and try to not mind this condition at all is the best advice I could think of.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Thank you very much. That's helps put my mind at ease. I know own for certain, my doctor told me I could never scuba dive or be a fighter pilot due to the drastic changes in air pressure. Other than that I was wondering if there would be any type of limitations for me as far as everyday life. Thanks a lot. You were very helpful.

• Posted

I've had surgery on both lungs 3 months apart, as I kept having recurrent lung collapses on my left side. Then after 3 on my left side and awaiting surgery I had one on my right side. Whilst in was in hospital with my 1st right collapse my left side collapsed at same time so was rushed to London. I had drains on both sides and had to wait in London whilst my right side healed before I could have my left side operated on. Then I opted to have my right side booked in to save any problems in the future. Because it had only happened once on my right side it wasn't automatic surgery but I was given the option to have it done. And although it is a horrible experience I'd rather get it over with then run the risk of future collapses

• Posted

Thanks very much for sharing Carla. May I asked how has that been?
    • Posted

It's been fine, although it took me about 3 months to feel comfortable to left the children. I was back at work 5 weeks after my second operation full time and with a 2yr old and a 4yr old life is quote demanding. Other then a few niggles from time to time iv had no problems at all. But as they say you can't go under the knife without having some twinges. I had a lot of nerve damage to my right side which took about 8 months to settle down but that may have been cause I stopped taking the gabapentin after 6 weeks, but I was told they are addictive and I don't like taking medication unless I really really need to. As soon as I left hospital both times I stopped taking the morphine they prescribed as well. The only odd thing I get is if I bend over sometime I get a sharp pain which I can describe as what feels like part of my lung has been pinched, I assume with my lungs being stuck to my chest it's possible.

• Posted

Well I'm glad you're feeling better. I was just wondering because I'm back at work after 3 months off. I still have the nerve damage as well but having gone through it before I know about the little twinge. Other than that everything is fine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.