Anyone else continue to get pain under right ribs after surgery?

Posted , 21 users are following.

I’m now almost 7 weeks post-op and feeling a lot better than I did before surgery. Nausea has completely gone and have only had an upset stomach a few times since but think that was related to antibiotics for a wound infection. 

I’m still getting some pain under my ribs on the right hand side. Is this a normal thing to still be happening? Have spent the day in bed as felt like I was coming down with something. This is what I felt like before most gallbladder attacks though. Could easily sleep for 13 hours straight then the next 3-4 days would have fevers and stomach and back pains. 

I was warned before the surgery that removing the gallbladder doesn’t always take away all of the pain. Really hoping that I’m not in that group of people! Has anyone else felt like this at this stage of recovery?

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I'm post op 5weeks. No more nausea but pain is there still. Not as bad before the surgery. I figure we are still healing and we should expect some discomfort. We will be good. Hang in there.

• Posted

You’re totally right! Think I forget it is a major surgery - I mean we’ve had an organ removed haha. We will be good! xx
    • Posted

Hi there. Just seeing how youre doing as im in a similar position as you were. Did your pain improve? Your response is appreciated!

• Posted

hi Michelle, yes the pain did finally go away. But this wasn't for a very long time, possibly up to a year after. Not to the severity that it was originally, it was just uncomfortable, not unbearable

• Posted

thank you so much for your response. You may remember how nice it feels to have hope. I'm 7 weeks post op and experiencing random pains in my back, ribs and abs, but its all mild and nothing like the attack pain. My bloodwork came back normal today. the pain has been consistent for a few days now but hoping it stops soon. did you have pain on and off for the year? i was feeling well during weeks 4-7 and then this pain arrived. thanks so much.

• Posted

I'm 3 months post op. I get this phantom weird feeling a few days a week under my right boob. It's tender and feels like something is moving. It's so bizarre!

• Posted

I’m 3 months and have the same pain
  • Posted

Hi Scottie.

im 24 days post opp I do get some pain under right rib area the same pain I used to get when a so called bikers colic attract was about to start but not as intense , but I'm assuming as fernando has said that it's just part of the healing . Hope so anyway.

and if not ,for me it's a small price to pay for life .

regards.

• Posted

Sorry that was meant to say bilery colic lol iPads write what they want .
    • Posted

Haha I’m used to one of my friends messages on the iPhone so pretty good at deciphering now lol. Yeah the pain has been in exactly the same place and came on not long after eating too so didn’t know if I maybe should give that food a miss now. You’re spot on that it’s a small price to pay!! Feel so much better now it’s gone xx
    • Posted

Still get the pains and nausea as well. So taking painkillers and buscopan cramps tablets which seem to help a little. Then on anti sickness tablets when needed and also high strength lansoprazole so make sure it’s not gastritis xx
  • Edited

Oh yes!

As you know I had open surgery in February followed by further open surgery through the same incision in March. Seven months on, although I’m so much better than I was pre op, I still get days where my lower right rib area is very tender and feels distended. Felt really sore yesterday but woke up today and only slightly tender!?? I can identify with the overwhelming tiredness too. Surgeon told me it could take a year or more to feel completely recovered but HB nurse says tiredness cannot be still connected to surgery. Thinking of getting GP appointment for blood test as I’m wide awake one minute, then find myself snoozing the next. Don’t even know I’ve been asleep until I wake. I’ve had flu jabs for years (asthma) but this year I reacted for the first time and was laid low for 24 hours, even running a temperature!! Also had some issues with constipation. As someone said, it’s a small price to pay for life! Bless you.

• Posted

Definitely don’t think they give you enough information about the side effects or how long things take to heal or for you to feel back to your normal self. I ended up going to my GP a week after surgery to ask loads of questions about what is normal. Luckily she is brilliant and was glad I went to her for advice. 

Yeah think you should go see your GP. It’s hopefully something that’s easily fixed and they can help with. How did you get on with your recent scan? xx

• Edited

All clear, thankfully!!

I know I moan a lot about NHS but I’m very grateful for the surgery I’ve had. Just don’t think patients should have to wait until their illness develops into something even worse that can be life threatening. My heart bleeds for some of the people who post here.

• Posted

Exactly!! I’m very thankful I work in the NHS actually. The surgeon I saw as an inpatient sent me for the HIDA scan and got it done within about 10 days. Then he was back on after 5 days of me being an inpatient the second time. He asked if I’d been back at work since the last admission and I said no. He fit me into his list the next day! My GP knows I’m not there unless I’m really not well as always try everything else first before going to see her as a last resort. Just feel a lot of the surgeons don’t understand how painful gallbladder pain can be and how much it stops you doing. I spoke to a nurse that had her gallbladder removed and she said until she had the pain she didn’t realise. Now anyone she cares for with biliary colic or gallbladder pain gets offered all the pain relief possible! xx
    • Posted

I used to work in NHS before I retired- in a non clinical roll. My son in law is a consultant and my daughter is a trained paediatric nurse, so I know how hard they both work and how dedicated the staff are, however the government needs to support these staff members and fund the NHS properly. Think most people would be happy to pay 1p extra in the pound on their tax to ensure they get good treatment when they need it. Don’t know why the government won’t commit to this?

Having said that don’t think even son in law and daughter realise what I’ve been through and how much pain and worry I’ve had, though both have supported me throughout. I’m lucky in this. Other patients have nobody to turn to when they are concerned over something and it’s virtually impossible to get GP appointments at short notice when these things crop up. Currently there’s a three week wait at my surgery for non urgent appointments. I do feel we get chucked out of hospital too quickly and without adequate medical support. You are so lucky with your GP! We never see the same one again as they’re all locums!! 

• Posted

I do the same as your daughter 👍🏼. I feel like we have better staffing than any of the adult wards I’ve ever been on, either as a student or as a patient. One of my friends was in another ward nearby when I was last in and I went along to visit. I ended up helping an elderly lady out of her bed and to the toilet and back because she was at risk of having a fall. We had buzzed for a nurse/healthcare assistant but they were all busy. This government wants it all privatised though, which is such a shame as the NHS was the best thing to have ever been introduced! I do agree that people would rather pay extra too, as I know I would! 

Luckily I’m in Scotland and at the practice I’m at it’s been the same doctors for a lot of years. They do have some locums at times and also have doctors doing their registrar training there too. And have same day appointments available as well as being able to book some about 4 weeks in advance. Very very lucky!! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.