Anyone else got blue/red nail beds

Posted , 2 users are following.

HI, my husband has just shown me his thumb nail, the half moon is really blue with a red tinge all over nail, in fact most of his nails are quite bluish. He has gone off to watch football so am googling this (yes I know) it say's could be lung disease due to lack of oxygen. he is 51 and showing no signs of breathing problems, although does have an office bound lifestyle so a bit overweight. He recently had a blood test for a health check when he changed doctors, all bloods came back ok, but would they have checked for lack of oxygen? He will not visit the gp unless half dead so before I waste docs time wanted to make sure I was not over reacting as usual.  

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had heard in the past that blue nails could be caused by heart problems due to circulation problems, I am not sure how true that is, I suppose that could be true for a lung problem too. It really depends what blood tests he had to see if anything would have shown up. You can get one of those things to test the oxygen in your blood from Amazon. They just clip on your finger. They are not astronomically expensive. 
    • Posted

Thanks, I read about the heart as well, so will be making him a GP appointment as soon as I can and will also look at Amazon in a minute. Thanks
    • Posted

Good luck. Perhaps I will get one of those Amazon oxygen things too! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.