Anyone else's hayfever symptoms much worse this year?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

First post here, so hope I'm in the right section.

I've had hayfever symptoms at pretty much the same time every year for about the last 5 years. They didn't start until about my mid-twenties, and always occur in June / early July. I always get itchy eyes, sneezes, tickly throat, irritation around the nose and some dizziness / tiredness (usually getting worse as the day goes on).

I suppose it does get a little worse as I get older, but I've generally learnt how to deal with it. This year, however, it seems to have got a lot more intrusive.

For one thing, it started around mid-May, much earlier than usual. Also, as well as all the ususal symptoms, I've had a pressure in my head / sinuses. I probably wouldn't go as far as to call this a headache, partly because it doesn't hurt as such (it's more a discomfort) and partly because it feels like it's on the exterior of my head (at different times, around nose / eyes/ forehead / top of scalp / ears - and not just behind the ears, an ache in the actual ears themselves) whereas a headache usually feels more like it's aching deeper in the skull or all over. I all have some muscular aches around the neck and shoulders, and even occasionally a feverish shiver.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this this year and, if so, if they've come across any good remedies? The daily antihistamine largely damps down the sneezes, itchy eyes and tickly through but not the other stuff - which I assume is all related to the sinuses.

Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Definitely this year is the worst ever - it must have lasted about two months consistently as well as intensity.  The wetter and colder summer here in Switzerland did not help.  

What helped was, doing my best to accept this condition instead of resisting (hard to do).  Instead of using antihistamine (only at the worst unavoidable situation), I was using inhaling into a steamed pot of lemon peel.  After I got tired of doing that, I simply blow my nose at the sink with warm water which really helps to soften the sinus.  

Oh yes, do my best to be kinder and learning acceptance, patience... still need a lot of help, for sure!  What  do others do to manage this situation (without antihistamine), I wonder?

• Posted

Thanks Vibrant Health. I've been rinsing my nose out with warm water last few days, and also putting Vaseline around my nostrils to try and stop some of the pollen.

Have you been having the sinus / head pains as well?

• Posted

Hi there yes my hayfever has kicked in much worse than any other year this year (im in the uk)

current symptoms: itchy eyes, (now red, dry and sore as well) using optrex eye drops as much as i can. sneezing, wheezing (altho i have asthma as well and that seems to trigger too) runny nose, blocked as well. The nightmare of hayfever.

I am currently take antihistamines from over the counter but i fear i may need something stronger to combat it this year.

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

What sort of area do you live in? I was reading that hayfever is now worse in urban areas than rural because of the smog and pollution making the perfect environment for all the pollen to hover about in.

Also wondering how things are in south of England compared to the north? I live in Manchester.

• Posted

I am in Cambridgeshire near Peterborough, i am in a rural location, working in nearest town.

My symptoms were worse yesterday than today, guess is depends on the weather as it is fairly damp here today. I think that makes a difference too.

Hate having hayfever. Although last year i wasnt too bad.

• Posted

I live in the UK and wondered was it just me! Hayfever deffo worse this summer. i had only the odd day of bother last summer and was on google to see if the pollen count was higher this yr compared to last. my hayfever started late april and is bad ever since. swollen eyelids everday.
  • Posted

Hi. Yes this year defo the worst ever. I sometimes get a really sore throat from my nasal steroid but have simply HAD to take the max dose as literally nothing else worked...sodium comglomorate :-(...nasal antihystamines :-(  and was suffering so much. It's under control now but Opticrom isn't treating my eyes like normal either :-( I think it's Cameron poisoning us so we all die before our pensions. lol. Haha.
    • Posted

wonder if its gonna be like this nx yr as well. unbearable, more annoying. ive swollen eyelids everyday since april.
  • Posted

PS do try Anymys. It takes 2 weeks to work but is the best I've found as oral antihystamines or nasal sprays don't touch me. Make sure you drink after though as any residue at the back of the throat can cause infection. Hope this helps :-)
  • Posted

This year has been the worst so far for me and it hasn't depended on the weather at all. What I have found is, that it is much worse in the city than when I've managed to escape to more rural areas. Although I have no idea why that is! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.