Anyone help : what to claim while waiting for ESA

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have recently handed my notice in at work due to not having the capacity to carry out duties required for the role of client support worker. I was signed off sick from my GP and referred to local NHS counselling service. Both have said that I was incapable of continuing with the current job. My GP gave me a sick note until 3rd October and is willing to keep issuing them until i get back on my feet. I am off due to acute anxiety and depression. I do have a history of this but have managed it well for many years ... stress at work and my mother being terminal brought about this recent condition. My issue is that I leave my current job on 16th September and i am still going to be signed of sick by my GP.I beleive she is looking at giving me a 3 month sick note.  What benefits do I cliam. If I am asked to apply for ESA then I will have to wait months for the medical. I do not have funds to wait this long. Does anyone know what benefits I will get, if any, while waiting for the ESA process?    Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Depends on youbut possibly income support, housing bennifit, with Esa you have to fill in forms, then i think they pay basic amount untill your assesed. Failing that it would be job seekers allowance, but you would have to prove you are actively seeking work,but as you have given your own notice, there would be a wait for this, so ESA is going to be your best bet, if your in rented houseing council will pay housing bennifit. sorry cannot be more helpfull, good luck for the future.
  • Posted

Hi Chris

Obviously I have only a snapshot of your circumstances but surly you would be better staying in work and claiming SSP (Statutory sick pay) for the next 28 weeks? (Currently around £88pw)

As mentioned above you could also be entitled to Housing/Council Tax Reduction benefit. Also if you have children then you need to either claim Child Tax Credits or report a change in circumstances i.e. you are either off work or ended work which will significantly affect your income.

If you do claim ESA then you will start on an assessment rate of £57.35 (under 25) or £72.40 (over 25). In theory you should receive a medical within 13 weeks but as you have noted this not always the case. At the medical you will have a Work Capability Assessment where you will get a chance to explain how your illness prevents you from taking employment. If you get to that stage then I would advise reading the forms where others have described their experiences and which pitfalls to look out for.

There are 3 outcomes of the WCA

You are found fit for work and therefore have to transfer to Job Seekers Allowance and actively have to seek work or your benefits could be sanctioned.

You are placed in the Work Related Activity Group (WRAG) where you will receive contribution ESA (Subject to National Insurance Payments) for 52 weeks (£86.10 under 25 or £101.15 over 25) before being transferred to Income Related ESA (IR). You will also have to attend work focused interviews and be expected to do some kind of employment searches. You can be sanctioned but this generally happens a lot less than with JSA.

You are placed in the Support Group (SG) and receive contribution ESA with no time limit whilst you remain within the SG. The rates are £95.10 under 25 or £111.15 over 25. You will not be expected to attend work focused interviews and cannot have your benefits sanctioned.

If you are placed in either the WRAG or SG then you will receive backdated benefit @ the rate of £28.75 WRAG and £35.75 SG per week from the date of the claim to the date of the benefit award.

If your condition requires personal care or restricts your mobility then you may also be able to claim Personal Independence Payments which are paid on top of any other benefit received whether they are contribution or income related.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.