anyone suffer from low blood sugar on sertraline?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was 25 mg of Zoloft for 2 years. My doctor decided to wean me off. I went into withdrawal. Within a week of being off of it I went back on but only 12.5 mg. I had a hard time leaving the house so I went up to 25 again. Been on 25 for 4 weeks now. All the side effects of the start up have came and gone.

I find myself getting very dizzy every 2 hours. I was told low sugar is a side effect of Zoloft and that I should graze. Eat 3 meals with snacks in between. There are times where I am forced to eat and I am not hungry at all! **This did not happen in the past when taking Zoloft**

I just left the doctor. She wants to decrease my dose back down to 12.5 but I told her the anxiety was unbearable. So she suggested 12.5 plus 6.25 for a total of 18.75. Or to increase my dose from 25 to 37.5 (25 mg with a half of a 25mg).

Im afraid the decrease will effect my anxity and afraid the increase will effect my blood suagr.

UGH SO FRUSTRATING!

I am hoping to hear from others whom may have experienced this before changing my dosage.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I just came of it after 2 years on 59mg. I lost my appetite when I first went on it. Over the two years I put on about ten pounds in weight, since I came off it six weeks ago ( I tapered off it very slowly over six months) I am back to my normal weight.

in terms of dizziness and low BS I prob did as I was often dizzy so I did what your doctor advised and ate small amounts but more frequently, even just a slice of bread would help.

it takes a while for your body to adjust so it may settle down for you.

BTW withdrawals come when you taper too quickly so to avoid them you can follow the 10% tapering method advised on this site - when the time comes of course.

Good luck, hope things settle soon.

• Posted

Sorry that should be 50mg not 59 !!
    • Posted

I went from 25 to 12.5 for a month and then off completely.

I actually think it's not low blood sugar. I ate today every 2 hours and still had dizziness / anxiety. I think now I have anxiety I thinking I haven't ate enough and my sugar is going to drop.

My therapist is suggesting I go up half a dose as well as my GP.

My anxiety doing day to day things is still occurring. Not as much as before but still.

• Posted

I see what you have done gone from 25 to 12.5 is way too much of a cut (50%) to make in one go and then to stop completely - the dizziness etc is a withdrawal symptom not a relapse of the original reason why you started taking them I agree with your doctor you should reinstate to the last dose and stick with it until you stabilise then start a 10% taper. 
    • Posted

No not much at all I had one point during the taper when I hadn't settled over a month so I stuck with the dose I'd got down to for an extra month then continued the taper from there. You know your own body and mind and how you feel, some people can adjust quicker than others but a month in between each 10% drop is a good average indicator. This tapering method has been well researched - and works !!!!
    • Posted

thank you tezes I wanted to start coming off but I broke my foot on Sat night so I'm in plaster so I don't think it's a good time rite now. I would really like to keep in touch with you for help if you don't mind??

lattifa

• Posted

I have never came off of a medicine before so I was completely clueless just doing what the doctor wanted me to do.

I had my blood sugar checked yesterday at 1 pm after eating at 11 and it was 98. Then again this morning before not eating and it was 86. Normal in the doctors eyes.

Since I am still experiencing some anxiety we decided I am to go up half a dose starting today. 25 plus 12.5 totaling 37.5. Which I think is safe.

I have been at 25 for a month now. Do you think it's safe to go up half a dose?

• Posted

I'm sorry you broke your foot! sad I would love to keep in touch with both of you if that is okay.

Coming off the way I did really scares me to come off again. With two positive influences I think I shall be confident enough to do it when the time is right.

• Posted

Hi

your BS reading do sound normal as they naturally rise when you've eaten (the reason type 1 diabetics have to use insulin before they eat to break down the sugars).

you know whether the dose of sertraline you are already taking is helping to manage your anxiety to an acceptable level for you. if it is manageable why increase the dose ? Take into account it can take up to 12 weeks to work fully. 

If if you do need to increase then you will still be on a relatively small dose,

either way, good luck

• Posted

I feel it working but I don't think it is at its full potential. I am still experiencing anxiety here and there. Especially at the supermarket, out with friends.

I feel like I am in a fog most of the time. Did you experience this on the drug? I'm afraid it may get worse with an increased dose.

• Posted

Yes the foggy head, it sounds like you are still adjusting to it being in your system. I just wonder if the occasional anxiety you have is manageable for you. Drugs help take the edge off but are not always miracle cures so as long as they make the lesson anxiety to help you cope then they are working. It's best if you don't take them in isolation, in other words use them in conjunction with CBT for eg. This helps you understand and address why you are anxious and gives you strategies to help your body and mind respond to stressful situations in a different way. 

In in other words the drugs help control the symptoms, the therapy helps you with the cause, the two go together. Simply put if you can get rid of the cause (or at least understand and deal with it better) you won't need the drugs. Hope that all makes sense x

• Posted

You think the fogginess is because my body hasn't adjusted yet? It's been 4 weeks. I was under the impression the medicine would have been in my system already.

I see a therapist. We are doing CBT. I have done it in the past too so I know all the exercises to deal with my anxiety.

I have been experiencing a little more anxiety lately than I have the last week. Not panic. But just a little edgy. So my doctor as well as my therapist have suggested I go up half a dose.

I'm really afraid the half dose will make me more foggy.

• Posted

It took a good 6-8 weeks for the initial side effects to settle down for me.

Glad you have CBT

Just my opinion but if you can manage the level of anxiety I would stick with the dose you have as it sounds to me your nervous system is still adjusting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.