Anyone tried the gag reflex to stop SVT?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and have found a lot of reassurance reading your posts, so thanks. I've had SVT for 12 years but they have become more frequent in the last few years and I've been in A&E twice this month.

Has anyone tried making themselves gag to stop an episode? I threw up in the ambulance last time and it immediately stopped the SVT and my heart rate went back to normal. I read somewhere online that making yourself gag can stop SVTs. The other manoeuvres don't work for me and it either rights itself during the hour long ride to hospital, or I need the dreaded intravenous drug.

So glad to be able to talk to others with SVT, as I find it very stressful.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

I have only tried gagging once, and it done nothing for me.

What other maneuvers have you tried?

There are just so many. Mine go tos are the modified valsalva maneuver and just lating on the floor with my legs up the wall. I then put my finger in my mouth and hold my breath and barr down.

My episodes can be 5 minutes and up to over 6 hours.

I have a ton of other things that I do. I just keep on doing until something works

• Edited

I've tried blowing into a syringe, legs up and head down, plunging my face into cold water and just trying some slow deep breathing. Half the time it rights itself on the way to hospital and half the time I need the intravenous drug. I'm glad you've got something that works for you.

• Posted

I've never specifically tried the gag reflex, but in general vagal maneuvers or laying completely flat and holding my breath have helped to stop episodes for me. When I was younger, ice on the face also helped. Some episodes do also terminate spontaneously.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.