Anyone used Strontium Ranelate

Posted , 5 users are following.

Morning, My mum has osteoporosis and was prescribed Alendronic Acid. Within days of taking it she suffered severe side effects mainly pain all over her body which took at least 2 weeks to disapear. After speaking to the Oseteo socitey they suggested mum go to see a Rheumatologist. We had the appointment yesterday and the doctor was amazing. Sympathetic, compasionnate and very good. She has prescribed Stronium Ranelate which is given to people that cannot tolerate the bisphosphonates family. In all my research of the disease and treatments, I have never came across this. Has anyone tried it, were there any side effects? Thank you for reading.

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your poor mum. I have had no side effects, but unfortunately some people do. Everything has side effects. It is really about weighing up these, against the do nothing option. Having already had 2 spinal fractiures, I can now walk and run but have severe pain , at times, in one buttock. I weighed up the odds, the  risk of side effects against the risk of another fracture and decided what was best for me. The drug you speak of, works in a different  way from the previous one, but has been associated with cardiac problems. If your mum has had cardiac problems, she will probably be advised not to take it. There are no easy answers. There is also a lot of misleading info out there. I wish your mum lots of luck.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response and sorry to hear how you have been effected too. Mum has 4 spinal compression fractures and 7... yes 7... Fractured ribs. Poor woman is in agony. She definately needs to take something i was just unhappy with her taking AA as have read the effects stay in your body for years.
  • Posted

I would not begin the AA drug because I was too concerned with side effects and the fact that it has a half life.

Do you know your mother's t score? Some people are being prescribed the drugs when their t score results were not too bad.

Less than -2.5 is osteopenia which is less serious than osteoporosis.

I think people should research online before commencing any of the drugs and weigh up the risks and make an informed choice.

I have decided not to take any of the drugs at the moment because I feel unconvinced of their safety.

Some research is stating that weight bearing exercise helps bone density.

It is also worth taking some vitamins and minerals namely Vitamin D 3, magnesium, vitamin K2, and calcium if unable to manage four serves a day through food intake.

How old is your mother? I am 71 and live in Australia.

It is wonderful that your mother has such a caring daughter.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen many thanks for response. Mum has not had a dexa scan because of 2 previous lower back operations the readings would apprently be misleading because the lower back was strengthened. She is unable to exercise as such as the last back op went wrong and which has left her having to walk with a stick due to the nerve damage and numb leg. Poor woman. She has been in pain with one thing or another since she was 30 years old, she is 62 now and I just dont know how much more she can take. I want to scoop her up and take her pain away. I have just got her some spray vitamin D becuase all the GP put her on Calcium, she said there is no evidence this works and suggested Vitamin D instead. I do wish you the best of health too Kathleen. And how lovely to live in the sun with all that vitamin D! x
    • Posted

You would think no one in Australia would be short of vitamin D but many are including me and my husband with the bones of a 30 year old.

Is it impossible for your mother to have a bone density scan? Here, in Aus, I only have to lie on a table and it is over in two minutes.

I have something similar to your mum and am using a wheeled walker. I am also trying Blwen therapy.

Vitamin K2 apparently puts the calcium onto the bones and I believe it is very important to have sufficient calcium.

I think you need to check out the strontium very thoroughly!

• Posted

Is your mother active? It has a black box warning in Australia meaning it should not be prescribed for certain people.

It was never offered to me. I am not very active. 

It carries warnings for people who may get thrombosis or a list of heart related conditions.

Check it out thoroughly!

• Posted

Thansk Kathleen. Mum is active in the sense that she works full time still (she is super woman!) but she cannot excercise due to previous failed lower back operations unrelated to osteo. The rheumy said she did not think a dexa scan would give a true reading as the lower spine was strengthened and so it would give a better reading that what the bones really were. I will continue to read what i can for her. I do sadly think she is not in a position to not take anything, she was sick the other day and cracked 2 ribs! I fear i have to find the less of all evils for her to take as she clearly needs something x
    • Posted

I think it is important to have a Dexa scan as you need to have full information to help with your decision.

Did your mother have the op for herniated discs?

I have two of those which is why I am not very mobile.

Are you in England?

• Posted

I would not proceed without a Dexa scan. Otherwise, you will not know if it is even osteoporosis. There is no other way to diagnose it.

These drugs are very serious ones and should not be prescribed without a diagnosis.

You will get a reading off the hips and parts of the back and even other areas if they are tested.

• Posted

Unfortunately, it is not as straightforward as that, if there is already damage to the vertebrae. I know this, because I have fractures.
    • Posted

I would still want to know my t scores. I would not proceed without that information. 

I would not know that I have osteoporosis if I had not had the bone density scan. 

I now wonder if the people and I know heaps of them who live in oblivion are not better off because they have never had the scans.

A break should be a warning to get the scan and X-ray as well.

• Posted

Hi. I have tried to respond to you 3 times and it won't send. Trying a short msgs to check
    • Posted

i understand what you are saying, but the information I discovered at the open clinic stated that sometimes a scan is not done because when vertebrae are damaged a faulse reading can result.
    • Posted

personally I would have benefited from a scan in my 40s as my first spinal fracture occured at 47. I was so convinced I could not have OP because, other than being a woman I had none of the risk factors.
    • Posted

When I had my second, I got a scan. If you think you can change your lifestyle and diet to improve things, the numbers make no difference. This poor lady has had so many fractures, numbers will change nothing for her. Perhaps, you will decide to take the meds, if your numbers are worse or you experience a fracture.

I apologise this is very bitty, but I have lost it 3 times so am trying to send it in shorter form.

• Posted

Sorry. Cant spell today either. FALSE
    • Posted

Alison,  Your frustrating efforts are much appreciated. Now I think you should go to bed with a hot whiskey !!!    Much deserved.    J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.