Anything I can do to avoid thrush while on prednisone?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just returned from GP and have been diagnosed with Thrush as a side effect of the prednisone.  I am on 21 mg.

i am now on Fluconazole for 14 days.

Is there any natural way to avoid this in the future or perhaps clear this up more quickly.  Thanks

Audrey. ---Florida

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I haven't had that side effect (many others), but I take a probiotic OTC twice a day and bet that would help.  If not that route, try eating yogurt with live bacteria, maybe cottage cheese.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Many people swear by yoghurt as a natural remedy - not only eating it but also topically for certain sorts of thrush! 

Here are some suggestions from a fairly reliable medical site:

"Home remedies for thrush are aimed at decreasing risk factors for thrush as well as preventing overgrowth of Candida yeast.

Brush the teeth with a soft toothbrush.

Rinse the mouth with a diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide solution.

Rinse the mouth with warm saltwater.

Avoid mouthwash as it can alter the normal flora of the mouth.

Keep dentures clean and see a dentist if they do not fit correctly.

Eat unsweetened yogurt while taking antibiotics.

Lactobacillus acidophilus supplements may help maintain a healthy balance of Candida.

Home remedies that may reduce the discomfort of thrush include

drinking cold liquids, or eating frozen or ice treats;

eating soft, easy-to-swallow foods;

drinking from a straw if the patches are painful.

Gentian violet (1%) is a natural treatment that sometimes works as treatment for thrush. It is a dye that kills bacteria and fungi, and it is available without a prescription. Talk to a doctor before using gentian violet. Grapefruit seed extract is sometimes used by nursing mothers who have developed thrush of the nipples. It can be applied topically (on the skin) or taken orally. Consult a doctor before using this or any supplement."

Something not mentioned there is changing your toothbrush once it has cleared or you will reintroduce the infection. And taking probiotic capsules should help - you get yoghurt with added probiotics but there aren't that many, capsules will provide a much larger number.

• Posted

Thank you all!

i do eat yogurt everyday for breakfast and have now increased my probiotic to the recommended dose of 2 a day..  In addition as Eileen recommended

and a good idea I never thought of -change out my toothbrush when it clears up.  Luckily my GP spotted it in the  very beginning.  

I am am on a high dose of pred after a couple of flares and it's how much that was needed to control the symptoms.  This time I will love come down super slow following Eileen's method.

thanks again

Audrey

• Posted

Morning audrey80537

You can try drinking cranberry juice if you have never tried the drink or eat live/bio yogurt with honey if you can't stand eating yogurt on it's own daily for both if you can I find it helps! i sometimes have to take prednisolone & I take inhalers & know  how they can sometimes cause thrush for some of us, I wish you luck & would be intrested in knowing if either these two natural alternatives help either on their own or together please can you letus know!?smile

• Posted

scrape your tongue after you brush as well. they sell tongue scrapers at the pharmacy. Also you might want to get nystatin at the first sign of thrush. Very hard to clear when you're taking prednisone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.