Apixaban or Warfarin - some positive feedback

Posted , 2 users are following.

The decision to switch from taking Warfarin to Apixaban was not taken lightly. Initially - reading all the negative comments I chose not to recommend the switch - for my mother. She is 84 and had been on warfarin for many years. It was only when I later spoke to a hospital doctor that I agreed to the change.

I had seen so many negative comments about switching from Warfarin to Apixaban that I really did not want my mother to take any "risks". It really was a difficult decision to make.

The doctor's suggestion was for my mother to come off Warfarin and try Apixaban for three months.

There are of course many who have bad experiences with the switch. This short account is to try and balance the experiences - as perhaps those who have no problems with the switch do not complain.

My mother takes a long list of medication including Fentanyl and the Warfarin.

So - what did I observe? I give some examples:-

Prior to the switch it would take great effort for my mother to write down a friends phone number for her to later dial. It would take about 15 minutes for her to write down and repeat back the number to me.

After switching - my mother can now write down and read back a phone number with no difficulty - just as quickly as I can.

My mothers demeanour prior to the switch was that of someone suffering vascular dementia almost needing 24 hour care. Now - my mother discusses the tv programs she has been watching, moans about some carers and praises others, shows an interest in her food - and it is basically as if she has mentally "younged" by about 10 years.

So far (18 months) she still seems to be ok with the switch from Warfarin to Apixaban. She no longer has to avoid "green foods". and she no longer has to have regular blood tests for warfarin level adjustments.

So, the "experiment" has been succesful. I shall of course be ever watchful for Apixaban side effects but her quality of life after switching has improved. Before she was just "existing". The doctor at one time prescribed anti-depressants - which I got stopped!

I hope these words give some reassurance to those considering trying Apixaban.

David

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.