APOE 4/4 and Optimal Diet?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Earlier last year I discover I carry two copies of the APOE 4 gene, which leaves me with almost 70x the risk of developing Alzheimers later in life. (And typically at an earlier age of around 65). 

Is anyone else aware of their APOE status? I kind of wish I never checked my results. But I guess with the knowledge, all I can do is my best to maintain a healthy lifestyle in the hopes of preventing Alzheimers. 

I’ve read that 4/4 carriers don’t do well with diets higher in fat and have a harder time regulating LDL cholesterol. Is anyone aware of any reaearch that looks further in to APOE and preventative diets? 

I’ve also read elsewhere that 4/4 carriers that go on to develop Alzheimers later in life also have very low levels of the hormone pregnenolone. 

The best preventative measures I’ve come across so far for any high risk APOE carriers is a diet rich in leafy greens and low animal fat. As well as low stress and regular exercise. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Justkel

I do not know your age so  this is a problematic discussion

Dementia  and its Genetic Markers, many are known, however that may not mean you will end up with a problem

I have a Congenital Short Term Memory Defect from Birth ?, and I have had to relatives who died from Dementia.

I do know they are trying to find ways attached to genetics to control dementia although the condition mentioned above can be problematic and they seem to have a long way to go to treat this problem

You could talk to your GP regards this and how you found out you genetics, a little knowledge can be a problem and I would suggest you move on after your appointment. Dependent on age you may find out in the future a cure however, again I would move on after talking with your GP

Diet may help, you have seemed to have researched that  try the diet, however understand there are various different types of Cholesterol many are needed to help your body function, the brain needs some to feed upon. So do not throw the baby out with the bathwater, take advice and stop worrying  as you may become your own worse enemy.

BOB

• Posted

I also discovered about 3weeks ago I have APOE 4/4. I have been reading a lot. I am optimistic. I am 56 a with significant overwheight. No symptoms.

I am optimistic there are many many things we can do. Main books read, I addition to podcast. Are Outlive, Lifespam, The End of Alzheimer"s and The Healing Self. And read studies by Dr Cunnane.

We need a balanced approach in many factors. Excercise, diet, sleep, Lipids, insuline balance, stress, and supplements.

We can beat this... Fuel to brain with ketones instead of glucose...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.