Are my symptoms normal?? muscle twitching & weakness

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all!

I was diagnosed with gilberts at 16 (10 years ago) since then the usual cycles of mild jaundice in eyes feeling fatigued & brainfog but knowing its normal amongst people with GS its never truly worried me.

About 2 years ago i started experiencing a strange dull pain under my ribs on my right side. I got my blood works done again along with CT scans and was told everything was fine. With managing my diet and putting less pressure on my liver the pain subsided and comes and goes when i have my 'bad days'.

5 weeks ago i had a very long from New Zealand to the UK and the jet lag wiped me completely and all the usual symptoms became very severe and have only started to slowly recover from. However since then i've been experiencing more troubling issues with muscle twitching and weakness mainly in my calfs and knee pain which is making it difficult to walk up and down stairs. Is this normal? Has anyone ever experienced this?

I have been through 3 different GP's and a Gastrologist countless bloodtests and scans all coming up blank apart from that I have Gilberts Syndrome... I feel like the doctors are now looking at me as a hypochondriac and ive given up going back and forth to my doctors just to leave feeling 'thobbed off' .

Love to hear others experiences makes me feel like we aren't alone in this!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

my son is having a bout of facial muscle twitches which we are addressing with b12 and siblingual D drops in the morning and magnesium and D at night. seems to be helping. blood tests for D show improvement from 13 to 20 (healthy minimum is 30) . hope this helps. low D messes with lots of bodily functions.

• Posted

Thanks alot for your reply! Hope your sons well. Think I will mention that to my doctors, done so much blood work its difficult to keep track what they have tested or what might have been missed.

• Posted

my son is 16 . i have to be an insistent helicopter parent asking for copies of every test, and googling everything. every doc blamed his brain fog and fatigue on his 2017 concussion -- but nobody tested D. Well, after 6 months of indoor recovery it should have been expected . voila.

• Edited

Dont get fooled by this information. Vitamin D indeed helps with calcium metabolism and therefore can reduce twitching. But more easy to check and less harmful is to take magnesium first thing. Dose should be high, especially if you drink a lot of water (like 600 mg per meal, preferably on empty stomach). After that you should correct copper levels. Without copper it is pointless to correct magnesium and vitamin D levels, because copper is essential to hormon metabolism (which vitamin d is). And copper helps to retain magnesium, that is easily excreted with increased water consumption in case of copper deficiency. And also you should STOP visiting doctors because they just steal your time and suggest useless blood tests. All you need is vitamins and metals blood tests

• Posted

I've had very similar symptoms to you - almost identical in fact - including muscle twitches in my legs for over 10 years.

Have also noted that symptoms increase after extended air travel. My last two trips have required doctor's visits while away and again upon return.

I had alternative medical doctors diagnose me with Lyme disease and was treated for that for about 3 years with marginal improvement.

Don't really have any answers for you, but interesting to know our symptom patterns are so similar.

• Posted

I know this post is from a while ago, but I'm wondering if you ever found a cause or solution? I was recently diagnosed and have almost the exact same symptoms. I feel like my doctor thinks I'm crazy, but the muscle twitching is happening all of the time. So far, I've had tons of blood work and no answers. I would really love to hear if this went away on its own or led to a diagnosis.

• Posted

Muscle twitching is caused by electrolytes deficiency. It could be Calcium, Sodium or Magnesium. Mainly it is Magnesium because it is easily excreted in case of Copper deficiency. I suggest you to take good dose of magnesium for few days and see a difference. If you will get better it means that you have a Copper deficiency because healthy adult shouldnt lose magnesium at all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.