Are withdrawal symptoms likey after 5 day course of prednisolone

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello My husband has just come out of hospital and has had a 5 day course of prednisolone 80mg a day for severe breathing problems.  Further tests will be done to see if he has asthma or COPD.  Can anyone tell me if he is likely to experience withdrawal symptoms, what they might me and how long they might last.  The hospital said he should be ok but from what I have read a lot of people do have problems even after short courses of treatment.  They did say that the drug would take 2/3 weeks to get out of his system but did not seem to think there would be any other effects.  Also what about driving and alcohol.

Thanks.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am unsusre about driving but I would definitely avoid alcohol.

Prednisolone can cause depression even after a short but intensive course.

Might be just as well to check with several pharmacists on the points you have raised.

Jean

• Posted

Thank you.  I did speak to one of the hospital doctors who said yes he could have a beer and drive and that there would be no withdrawal symptoms.  I myself  have suffered withdrawal symptoms after stopping a medicine not a steroid so I tend to think that doctors don't tell you and hope that you don't get any problems.  Do you know when any problems may start and how long they will last.  Tomorrow will be his first day with no prednisolone.  
  • Posted

The reason one gets withdrawal symptoms is that the steroids take over from the adrenal glands, so when you stop, the adrenal glands have to leap into action again. The adrenal glands do not seem to close down for two to three weeks, so one week is considered fine, as the hospital said.  After a longer period it could be a real problem to just stop the steroids.

I am on long term steroids and also drink and drive, not at the same time! 

• Posted

Thank you, my husband says at the moment he feels fine perhaps a bit tired then he has just come out of hospital.  He is just happy to be out and breathing more easily again.  He has however decided not to drink for a few days more but will starting driving again on Monday as he has an appointment to go to.
    • Posted

That is good news he is feeling better. I am sure he will be fine driving and he can look forward to that drink! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.