Arthritis related to bowel disease

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone, ive been on the forums about my bowel disease. i had diverticulitis for many years before being diagnosed properly, ending in 2 major surgeries last year. Bowel function ok now. I have developed some strange symptoms though, and i believe i have now developed some kind of arthritis type thing related to my bowel disease. I realise i had some of these symptoms before my surgeries, but they have just progressed. I had tingling and pins and needles after surgeries, which were put down to low ferritin, which i had. Had iron infusion etc. all iron levels normal now. I have that still , but now , neck pain, arm pain. terrible low back pain, which is better after some physio, and i do excercises she recommended. Now developed awful leg pain at night if i have been sitting too long. alleviated by moving and all much better if i keep moving and keep mobile. i am also incredibly sensitive to cold. It was only after a conversation i had with a relative overseas that has active bowel disease, and has a kind of arthritis problem through having it, that i realised my symptoms are very similar. My gp doesnt know enough about this, and i have made an appointment withh my bowel surgeon to discuss it. I think i should be seeing a rheumatologist? Can anyone shed any light on this for me please? Anyone going through same thing. ?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

did you have crones ( ibd )

there is connection on crones and artheritus and all other symptoms you mention

• Posted

Thanks for the reply James. No i had diverticulitis infections for years before i was diagnosed properly, my gastro kept telling me it was irritable bowel syndrome. I was really ill but he did not think my symptoms were an inflamed bowel. By the time i was diagnosed i had a massive abscess stuck to my bladder and a lot of damage in there, so i lost 8 inches of bowel, had a bag for 3 months, and then a reversal. So basically i had an inflamed and infected bowel on and off for years.

• Posted

ok ...

its a mine field out there .

i have bowel issues and i have reactive artheritus

pins needles

head pressures

throat issues etc

artheritus can come from a number of ilnesses as an inflamation reaction so maybe you have inflamation

id try get a crp check and calprotine check and see what they say .

• Posted

Thanks again James. Yes i will do that. It certainly is a mine field. I have symptoms that come and go, some annoying, some very painful. its a strange and depressing side effect of bowel problems. Thank you for the advice.

• Posted

Hi rhiannon_5, have you ever been tested for the HLA-B27 gene? its an arthritic gene. i was misdiagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis back in the 90's . I never responded well to any of the treatments , and my rheumatoid factor always negative. After doing some extensive research i came across some information about that gene. i asked my rheumatologist to test me for the gene and i tested positive. i have severe reactive arthritis. My symptoms started when i was about 15, I am now 43.

• Posted

Hi Debbie. Thanks for the reply. No i haven't been tested for anything like that, it was my bowel stuff that has been a big focus last few years. I should be tested though i think. Something is definately not right. All much worse though since surgery. But had some symptoms before too for sure.

• Posted

Sorry about what you've been through. reactive arthritis is also an auto immune disease just like IBS. Not everyone who carries the HLA-B27 gene gets an auto immune disease. The cause of the gene reacting most of the time is from bacteria formed in the gut. hope you can get some answers soon.

• Posted

Thanks for that Debbie. Hopefully get some answers soon. Got a mot of numbness and tingling in legs and particularly feet. Painful legs too, pain in neck and back. I think it's the numbness and tingling that alarm me most. Its frightening . Is that common?

• Posted

I have done a bit of research and come up with a reactive arthritis called reiters syndrome, that affects the urinary system. I have a very painful bladder and painful urination. I dont have a UTI it affects urinary system, joints and eyes. I have all of these. . It comes after the body has had nasty infections. I have had a massive bowel infection( when my diverticulitis was properly diagnosed) was very ill. I wonder if its something like that. Also with that comes chills, etc. I have chills constantly, but no temperature. I think i need to see a good rheumatologist.

• Posted

I get what you've described. lots of neck pain, numbness in my arms, hands and feet. what helps me is staying as active as possible. riding a stationary bike for about 20 min also helps to keep moving without putting any strain on my knees.

• Posted

Reiters Syndrome is the old name for that infection induced reative arthritis. it happens when your body is trying to fight off that nasty bacteria. Most people who carry the HLA-B27 react to this and go on to have joint pain which is caused by the infecton and the gene. people who do not test positive for the gene will sometimes have symptoms of reactive arthritis but will get better anywhere from weeks to a year. this is what started my illness. hope this helps

• Posted

have you considred lyme - metals - toxins ?

it seems to be very common for these symptomd too

sorry dont mean to overwelm you but it could be one of these

• Posted

its tricky i know

i suppose the qu to ask is why is the bowl inflamed because i suppose something triggered it either a forign invader or our immunity turning on us .

the world of toxin is complicated but you can get private lab tests for metal - mould and lyme but lyme you must ensure its not false positive test . if your in uk the uk test is 75 percent wrong

germany have a better test .

dont always take doctors diagnosis or medication without questioning and cross reference as doctors tend to fix symptoms not illnesses and its important to find the route cause

• Posted

i dont know how long your ill or what you found out but from my experience now 18 months in is - see a holostic nutritionist abd get a great blood test - formulate a plan to optamise your immunity and fix your digestive tract

i after two months went from awful stomoch issues to almost back to normal and its strong !

i still have heaps of issues and i can feel my stomoch wants to be ill but im not letting it .

and go methodically through the doctors tests and get tests for ibd ( calprotine )

possibly ana test for autoimune etc ... whilst doing your suppliments

and then consider some private blood tests in labs checking for toxins and allergies and after all that you should gave your awnser

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.