Arthroscopy recovery - sudden knee pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a left knee arthroscopy 3 weeks ago for torn meniscus and bit of arthritis, and generally have been ok, able to walk and wounds healing, but no way up to full speed. However, at times knee still feels clicky and fragile. Then yesterday felt a ping and sharp pain in front of knee cap, centre radiating upwards. Been very uncomfortable since. Was signed off 2 weeks, on phased return now working from home. Has anyone had similar experience?Thanks smile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had a similar operation this time last year and, sadly, it hasn’t been much better since. I had an injection of a gel which made it more comfortable for 6 months but this is not available on the NHS and fear of increased private health costs prevents me from going back. NHS physio basically said grin and bear it. Some days it’s better than others but the exercises the physio advised I do hurt too much to carry on with! Sorry to be gloomy. Hope you have better luck.
    • Posted

Thanksfor replying. Sorry to hear you've had a bad time. I am hoping it is just early days and things will improve, seeing consultant in couple of weeks. Just wondered what might have caused the sharp pain, hoping I haven't made things worse! Was quite active before this and really want to be properly mobile again. Hope you feel better soon smile

• Posted

Hi was wondering did you ever find out what caused the sharp pain?
  • Posted

How are you now, kelly19728? I'm having a similar experience at 2.5 weeks after an arthroscopy for a torn meniscus. I'm hoping it is just a slight set-back. Have you got better? 

thanks

• Posted

Hi all, apparently the consultant said the shooting pain was nothing, as they do! But on my follow up was told when they went in the meniscus was ok, misdiagnosed. The issue was my cartilage which was pretty much missing under the knee cap. The rest of the knee is fine but I need to have the knee cap replaced unfortunately. So I am on another waiting list for more surgery.  Hope you guys are faring better smile
  • Posted

Hi all, apparently the consultant said the shooting pain was nothing, as they do! But on my follow up was told when they went in the meniscus was ok, misdiagnosed. The issue was my cartilage which was pretty much missing under the knee cap. The rest of the knee is fine but I need to have the knee cap replaced unfortunately. So I am on another waiting list for more surgery.  Hope you guys are faring better smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.