Article on PMR in today's Daily Mail

Posted , 7 users are following.

There is an article on PMR and steroids written by Dr Scurr in today's Daily Mail on the 'Ask the Doctor' page.  The link is below and I hope it doesn't take too long to get passed by the moderators:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3569818/ASK-DOCTOR-safe-taking-steroids-two-years.html

​Pity Dr Scurr didn't take the opportunity to alert people to the linked condition, GCA, but at least our cause has been highlighted and someone out there reading the article today might have a 'lightbulb' moment and an answer for their pain.

​Most of us will be familiar with a higher starting dose of steroids than the 10-12mg advised in the article, but I am aware that some rheumies are now of the belief that a lower dose will work....hmmm!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My rhumy told me no higher than 10mg he said no higher as I was already showing signs of moon face etc after a trial of 10mg. But after 2 months they reluctantly put me on 15mg. Only now after 6 weeks on 15mg has my blood come back with lower esr and crp. It has continued to climb at 10mg?

I am only 45 but they have now said it is PMR took me 10 months for them to agree. x

• Posted

I know that the current thought is that initial dosage could be more closely tailored based on body size of the patient - a large man needing quite a bit more than a small woman for example.  Except that we are all so individual and there must be other factors involved besides size.  On the other hand I think it is good that they're trying to find a way to keep that initial dose as low as possible but still get adequate effects.
    • Posted

If only we could have pred with out weight gain and moon face etc. Love my pred lol. Hate my face. I feel like crying when I look in the mirror. I hardly recognize myself.

Fat face is worth the relief the pred gives though I guess xx

• Posted

Charlieschoc, as 15mg has finally been found to be the dose needed to reduce your pain, then a reduction to no lower than 12.5 in the first instance is likely to be more successful than going straight back to 10mg where you struggled previously.  Too big a reduction therefore too big a shock for the body to adapt to let alone running the risk of increasing inflammation.

Like you, it took a very long time for anyone to come up with a definitive diagnosis for me - 12 months, in fact, by which time GCA had also arrived on the scene!  So don't worry about the moon face (that is temporary) but take whatever dose of steroids you need to keep that inflammation under control and avoid the possible risk of GCA joining in the 'fun'!

• Posted

Apart from pain relief one other good effect I got from pred was relief from dry itchy skin.  Now that benefit is wearing off.  I had entertained a faint hope that pred would have cured that lifelong problem for me, too.  wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.