Artificial Urinary Sphincter

Posted , 6 users are following.

After having Prostate removed 18 months ago by Da Vinci op, and a TURP prior to that I have been left with stress incontinence which I cannot control. It has been suggested I have the Artificial Urinary Sphincter operation, and I wondered if anyone can advise both good and bad about the op, and any questions I should be asking about it. Am fed up with sheath catheters and pads and would love to have more freedom again.

David

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

David, did you find out any out on the sphincter? i just had my prostate removed a little less than two weeks ago and cannot control my bladder. while I am trying to be positive it has me worried.

Kirk

• Posted

Kirk, I could not find the original thread to put a comment on.

Went for my Urodynamic test and it showed I could hold 800 mls but blowing in the bag, coughing and another test brought a large amount of bypass ( Stress Incontinence ). The surgeon said I was an ideal case for a replacement sphincter valve BUT the NHS waiting list is 7 to 8 months around May 2020.

Do not worry about your bladder control as it can be 3 to 6 months for general bladder control to come back but stress incontinence will likely be longer up to 12 months.

Keep doing your Kegel exercises and if worried they are not working, ask to see a Urology Physio to get them checked.

David

• Posted

thanks for the reply David. i was just worried because I didnt think I would leak this badly. Went to church and leaked everytime I stood up. I guess I have to just remain positive and do the exercises.

• Posted

Kirk,

Have you tried the sheath condom style protection with the small leg bag, if not do a search on the internet as it is worth trying samples first. Any questions PM me, as they were good at the start when I was flooding out with no control.

David

• Posted

Try google. Its a perfect solution to all your questions. You also should ask a doctor you do not know. Checkups are usually free, unless you go to a private doctor, but you should not have to pay much from the private doctor.

• Posted

I had an AUS installed in July 2017 and it refreshed my quality of life. I had moved from 1 fairly dry pad per day to 2-3 soaked pads per day ...even without much exertion. It had begun to suck and I was just turning 50 ...having dealt with the leaking since surgery in Aug 2005...almost 12 years.

I would recommend the AUS to anyone!! I have fun joking about "pushing my button" with my friends but it really has made me a happier, less grumpy man.

• Posted

Had my AUS last December and it is fantastic, life back to normal press a button and let water come out when you want it to, rather than wetting your trousers or filling numerous pads. If you are having problems with stress incontinence it is great, also strange as it seems you don't feel it beside your testicle .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.