AS and swimming

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello.

I have suffered with AS symptoms since i was 16, now 37, and have been diagnosed since October 2021. I am taking Secukinumab, am male, living in the uk, and apparently have fibromyalgia as well (though it was just a passing comment from the rheumatology doctor, she didnt tell me anything else about it!)

I have been told by my doctor to swim, it will help my joints and pain, and all the info online says to swim to help arthritis. But when i take my kids to the local pool within about 5-6 minutes, I can feel the usual flare pains starting, then I am exhausted and in a lot of pain for at least a few days. The same happens if I try and have a bath instead of a shower.

I told my doctor and all she said was "hmmm, it should be helping" and then went on to other stuff.

Has anyone else noticed this with AS? Or could it be down to the fibro? Im not getting any answers from my doctor and all the literature just talks about how beneficial swimming is.

Would really like some advice or personal experiences please.

Thanks.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

i prefer a hot tub after a swim relaxes muscles . Swimming is helpful but start out slow. ask for a swim Physical therapy class to help you with techniques. pain meds before swimming help or anti inflammatories.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.