Asking GP to refer me for weight-loss surgery. Any advice on how to have this discussion?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello,

I'm hoping I can receive same. I have researched having bariatric surgery for a couple of years now, and I want to take the next step of asking my GP to refer me for bariatric surgery. I am really nervous about talking to my GP, as I know SOME GPs can be dismissive and forget that patients are the expert in their experience and that care should be patient-led and collaborative. This is something I'm learning everyday as healthcare professional.

Just some information about me. I am a 31 year old black British African female. I am 5ft 6" and currently weigh 298lbs - my heaviest weight to date. I have high blood pressure which GP is aware of, although I am not prescribed any medication. I just self-monitor using a BP machine. There's a family history of high blood pressure and heart disease in my family - one of my uncles died of sudden cardiac arrest in 2021. My dad has atrial fibrillation.

I have been on my own weigh-loss journey for 10 years having tried so many diets - Cambridge diet, WW, SW, Paleo, Keto, and now, I'm trying calorie counting. All the options I have tried before have resulted in short-term success and gaining even more weight than I had originally started out with. Despite this, my education on food and exercise has improved and I still apply some bits today, but the weight is not shifting or staying off permanently, and I am worried about getting bigger and developing similar health problems like my elders.

Weight-loss surgery is not the end result for me. It is a tool I NEED and not WANT to help me maximize my current efforts and continue to make better decisions around food that values my life not jeopardises it.

So, essay over! If you have discussed weight-loss with your GP and asked your GP for a referral. What advice can you give me?

It goes without saying; please be kind and respectful!

Thank you!

babyt2468

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.