Aspiration next week.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Things are finally begining to move re my revision due to the misalignment. First, I have finally got the date for the aspiration re the lumps (squashy, but not hot) as if they are infected, no revision until it has gone. Has anyone had an aspiration? Will it hurt? What shall I expect? All I know is that I will be in theatre as they need a sterile surrounding, but I will be awake & alert! The things we all have gone through.........

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

best of luck Veronica i hope it all goes well, let us know when its done.
  • Posted

thank heavens it looks as if at last they are going to start your revision!  fingers crossed there is no infection. . . . 
  • Posted

In 2002 I had 6 over a period of 3 months in addition to 3 surgeries. These were all due to a tumor and we're just done in the Dr's office. 65 to 75 c.f. of blood removed each time and 200c.c. removed with each surgery. In Feb this year I had one in the radiology area where they were using a type of scope that let the go directly into the 3 areas of concern and view it with a contrast fluid. They were checking for staph which they found. Uncomfortable, yes.......painful, not extremely. They numb the area with lanicane or similar fluid. As it numbs an area, they go deeper with a 2nd injection. Its more of a pressure than a severe pain.
  • Posted

In 2002 I had 6 over a period of 3 months in addition to 3 surgeries. These were all due to a tumor and we're just done in the Dr's office. 65 to 75 c.f. of blood removed each time and 200c.c. removed with each surgery. In Feb this year I had one in the radiology area where they were using a type of scope that let the go directly into the 3 areas of concern and view it with a contrast fluid. They were checking for staph which they found. Uncomfortable, yes.......painful, not extremely. They numb the area with lanicane or similar fluid. As it numbs an area, they go deeper with a 2nd injection. Its more of a pressure than a severe pain.
    • Posted

Thanks OFG - you have been through more than most of - they always do it in a serile situation here (UK), but at least I now know they will numb the knee, which is hyper sesitive.
    • Posted

Around here panic and is the numbing agent of choice a it's like getting a tooth numbed foe filling. After the 1st stick it's mostly pressure you feel. The sterile surroundings sound smart to me. Any thing to cut the chance of infection
    • Posted

That started out to be lanicane a 22nd wound up panic. I guess that could make sense in some cases
  • Posted

Hi,

Never had anything like this done. Just want to wish you good luck and hope everything turns out OK!!

• Posted

I had my knee aspirated followed by a steroid injection in outpatient clinic when I first went to check whether it was my kneecap, an infection, psoriotic arthritis or gout or was as he thought the result of neuro surgery.   As I say it was in outpatient clinic but they put a lot of stuff on first to make it sterile.   I don't remember any pain with the aspiration just a pressure feeling and even the steroid injection which I dreaded was not particularly painful but a bit worse.  I am glad however, that it took me by surprise!!!

The aspirated fluid was sent to the university for examination and the verdict was that there was no infection or psoriatic arthritis or gout, and Xrays showed I did need a TKR as a result of the neuro surgery putting too much strain on my good leg.    Don't worry about it you will be fine.

• Posted

Thanks all - I'm not so scared now, just concerned my BP will show otherwise!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.