assessment date

Posted , 2 users are following.

I hope everyone keeping well, i received a phone call yesterday about my sons esa assessment i was hoping that they would just send letter saying there no need for assessment as id sent the form back beginning of the year, and hadn't heard from them, the lady was really nice and said that seen as im my sons appointee i could speak on his behalf as there was no need to give him any more worry or stress and not to worry as it was a nurse who would be asking the questions, his appointments for next Thursday , i feel sick to the stomach since receiving the call ok i was on pins every day since the form went back treading the postman with that little envelope , the lady at cab who help fill in the form did say that she thought it may be best if it was a phone assessment as it more easier for someone like my son who cannot cope and gets anxious and has little understanding of whats being said to him .

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

If you are your son's appointee then yes you will be able to speak on his behalf. Otherwise, the HCP on the day may not agree for you to speak for him.

They will ask questions based on a typical day for him so explain in as much detail as possible. You will need to verify what was written on the form because some of the questions maybe based on that.

Remember it's about the work he can do and not the work he can't do and that is what they will assess him on.

I totally understand how stressful these assessments are. For me ESA is always the worst. Phone call could be anywhere from 15 to 90 Minutes.

Once the report has been returned to DWP you can request a copy to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

Good luck.

• Posted

I kept a copy of the form that was sent in to them earlier this year , he had a face to face last time and thats was really stressful for him even though i was there the nurse even said then after half hour that he could go in the other room with his dad while she spoke to me she could see he was feeling anxious and panicky , hope your keeping well in yourself and staying safe x

• Posted

Well just had assessment done for my son , by phone she said that she gonna try and get him on it now without being ever assessed again which would be a big help and relief , and that it should take about 2/6weeks to sort out , she was lovely , now i just have to be calm and wait easier said than done ,

• Posted

She shouldn't have said anything to you regarding never being assessed again, this isn't her decision to make. They can only ever make recommendations, decision makers make the final decision. HCP's are not supposed to say anything to the claimant/or representatives.

The criteria to be placed into the severe conditions group is very specific and very few people are placed into this group. Of course i hope for your son that he is.

Wait a week and then ring DWP to request a copy of the report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report, if you can understand it.

Once the decision is made, if he's placed into the severe conditions group then it will state on the letter that no further assessments are needed. If it doesn't state this then he won't be in that group.

Also, you can only be placed into this group if the recommendation is the support group.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.