Asthma/allergy or even heart, breathing issue, old carpets or pet?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there,

Awhile back in 2018 we had a temporary puppy, was supposed to have been hypoallergenic but coincidence or otherwise, the longer i was in my house at that point the worse i got with an "exhale wheeze" / short of breath at times / coughing up mucus (small amounts at times) etc.

Flash forward 2 years later and at least 1.5 years since we had the dog (gave to family member), amidst all of the covid my issue continued to present itself, more and more, even despite now going back into work even 4 straight days (theory was the longer away the longer i could do ok in house).

I've tried every med prescribed, every allergy pill (allegra, claritin, etc), tried the brieo stereoid inhaler, tried steroids (marginal help with the pills). The only thing i can say helps is getting away, but now it takes some 7 to 9 hours being at work to really get back to a baseline, or maybe if i take benydryl at home and or my ventolin (occassionally helps kick it out a bit).

I can only describe the sound as a wheeze at the top of the exhale, maybe typical asthma? (had asthma as a kid but forget), i also have svt and issues related to the electrical circuits in my heart, few months ago dealt with sustained hr for hours at 100-130 (im thinking was related to proton pump pills for gerd). And now more recently pvc/pac/svt short spurts that often leave me dizzy or light headed, though not that often as of late. So there could be that factor but even the cardiologist hasnt suggested its heart related.

That leaves 15 year old carpets, well maintained, cleaned, duct work cleaned, dust mite covers on bed, you name it. Tried purifiers, no help, tried humidifiers, maybe marginal help. There are areas out of reach that probably have a nasty build up of dust (behind our ent. center) that probably arent helping (i was tested as a kid and allergic to tons of things, including dust and milk).

I stopped drinking milk 3 days ago, figure it takes 2 weeks to at least rule that out.

Has anyone ever gone through this before? Is the exhale wheeze typical to just call it "asthma"? I used a manual peak flow meter and its levels were normal and consistent, even when short of breath on a bad day 370-450. (450 more typically, i guess for 6'6 and my age 45, it should be more like 600)

I've ran out of ideas, my asthma dr doesnt seem to respond to my questions on what to do next at this point, so i've moved on to a new doctor (i did have a normal ct scan a year ago and chest xray, though maybe not at the peak of issues when tested).

Looking for any input really, when i search on some of this you end up with generic things that are probably unrelated.

Thanks in advance and Happy new Year

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

So sorry you are going through this. Have you tried going to an allergist and have testing done. The allergist can also help you if you do have asthma. I was having a cough, lots of phelem , sinus issues and i went to primary, ENT doctor and the one that helped me the most was the allergist . Wish you good luck .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.