Asthma, Cystic Fibrosis, Alpha-1, COPD, health anxiety???

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm a 33 year old male. In 2006 I had an x-ray for a nasty cold, I was 25 or so at the time. The findings: Heart is normal size. Lungs are hyperinflated. Aorta and pulmonary vascularity are unremarkable. There is not acute lung or infiltrate or congestive heat failure. Impression: Hyperinflated Lungs, no acute cardiopulmonary disease. In 2009, i had bronchitis and doctor only said they found it on x-ray but never gave me explanation of what they found. Same for 2011, bronchitis only lasted for 1-2 weeks. Then in 2010, same hospital and chest x-ray was normal. Findings - there is no evidence of acute inifiatte or plural effusion. The heart size is withini normal limits. Bony thorax is unremarkable. CONCLUSION, normal chest. Since then 2011-2015 I had check ups, and chest x-rays were all normal. I was diagnosed with asthma when I came down with pneumonia at 16, but never needed an inhaler to play sports. I'm still active to this day and never had an attack. So what bothers me, is that I am not sure if it's ALPHA-1, mild asthma, COPD (since i smoked marijuana for 8 years straight) or even atypical cystic fibrosis. I've been reading stories of people being diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis after years of chest infections and sinusitis (which I get almost every year) Docs are not taking me serious. I want to go to CF adult clinic but they need: culture, chest ct scan, genetic testing and more. My doctors kinda smirk at me, since they know I have really bad anxiety. My only systems are IBS (confirmed by colonscopy and MRCP) and yearly sinus infections. My son often gets the cold and passes it on to me. I guess if I did have CF, I would be the lucky 1-2% that's able to have kids. My flow peak meter is below average, but I feel fine. No wheezing, out of breath or coughing. My Protein electrophoresis, liver, heart, kidney, cbc were all fine. Any advice on what to do? My mom died of lung cancer, she smoked cigs for 15 years, I quit smoking pot when she passed. My psychologist tells me to cool it down and psychiatrist has me on xanix when needed.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I can empathise with you has I was treated for stress for three years before being diagnosed with moderate copd. Kept telling gp about breathing probs and was told that i was not handling the tests properly.changed gp and got diagnosed with moderate copd, nearly at the severe stage. What made me angry was the fact that my gp at the time seemed to dismiss the fact that it wasn't possible to have both conditions. After the test I had where lung capacity is measured mine said I had lungs of an 85 year old,I was 58 at the timeTold this to gp and he said he was putting in my notes bad management of the test.Good job I changed gp
  • Posted

Hi JohnyBongo

I am so sorry that you feel that there is something wrong and that dcotors are not responding helpfully.  I believe that patients know their own bodies and it you feel that there is something the matter, then there probaly is. I am intrigued by the hyperinflated lungs, has anyone given you an explanation or cause of that?  What are your symtpoms? There must be something that you are experiencing to leads you to think that there is something wrong. There are some unusual lung diseases that doctors do not always pick up on.

All the best, happy New Year, and let us know how things progress.

K xxx

• Posted

Hi from what you say this sounds like health anxiety.  If you had any serious illness you would have symptoms and you don't.   I have copd now but all my life have suffered from very nasty colds and since my 30's chest infections.  It doesn't mean you have any nasty illness,  it's just some people are more susceptible than others. 

I smoked for many years and gave myself copd in the end,  but like I said you would have symptoms which you don't.  It's possible in later life you might develop lung problems (or other illnesses) but it's unusual to develop copd until your 50's.   x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.