Asthma nitric oxide result

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

As an asthma sufferer I usually cope with my seasonal attacks. Only when it turns to chronic bronchitis do I normally go to my gp. The symptoms stayed with me for several weeks this time and then one night it turned bad. I actually thought I might die. After constant gasps of my inhaler I eventually recovered. Next day got an appointment with an nurse who took various notes and temperature, blood/oxygen levels. All okay. I was then given a device to measure my nitric oxide levels, new one on me. Anything around 25 is normal, up to 51 is a grey area and anything over that means extra meds. Mine was 99!!!

The nurse went straight to my gp and came back with a steroids prescription and other meds.

I suppose my point to all of this is that with all of my attacks over the years I never had a nitric oxide test before, how many others may benefit from this test, but dont know it exists.

Thought please.

Mike.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mike, wow that was high. Is that nitric oxide device something they allow you to take home? Not sure if I have ever had a Nitric oxide test, guessing possibly in hospital as last year I had a massive asthma attack, ended up in A&E being treated, nothing worked, heart doing over 200 bpm and I became to critical to be moved without being intubated and put into an induced coma to try and save my life. I wasn't expected at all to survive. My family called in twice to watch me die and to make funeral arrangements. Now have brittle asthma which prior to massive asthma attack I didn't have. Asthma is currently playing up and 3 times this week have almost called an ambulance, but just managed to get pathetically under unstable control up from peak flow scores of 90 and 110 which after constant use of all my inhalers then jumped up to 120, 130, 140, 160, 150, 140, 150, 120, 140, 150. My asthma plans last stage of emergency/severe attack peak flow reading to call 999 at is 151, didn't call as I could still talk. That was yesterday, and today peak flow reading 130 and 150 meaning I should according to my plan be calling 999 for an ambulance, but I'm not gasping for breath anymore, just have chronic lung pain and pain from right lung going all down my arm " used to that happening " upper trunk and neck muscles cramping up into visible taught lumps under my skin, but I am not gasping currently for breath. A nitric oxide test at home for me would be invaluable and have the potential to save my life. I have emergency steroids but not taking without speaking to my asthma nurse first. Hope you are feeling better.

• Edited

Hi,

You are certainly going through it, have any/both of your lungs collapsed yet? The severe attack that I had should have made me call 999 but I didnt want to bother anyone!!!

Extra meds have not made a difference, I am okay sitting in an armchair but when I get up and walk a few steps Im done in. Back to gp on Monday,hope both our week-ends go okay, thank you for your reply.

Mike.

• Posted

Hi Mike

How are you doing now? I don't know what went on with my lungs really that much. They are damaged now that I do know. x

• Posted

Mike I meant to add that you really must call 999 if you are struggling to breath. When I had my massive asthma attack in 2018 had I not managed " only just about" to call an ambulance I would have without doubt died at home alone on my hallway floor. It all went from just struggling with my breathing to not being able to breathe so quickly and writhing on the floor like I was drowning and being suffocated. It was terrifying and I knew I had very little time left. I was smashing my head into the wall to give myself pain to focus on more than not being able to breathe. It was like someone was holding thick cellophane over my nose and mouth and trying to drown me at the same time. I am now on the Mart asthma system and my asthma has more recently been better, but do have a persistent cough. Take good care and do hope you are doing OK. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.